Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B1109 - Organ Donation Bill (Second reading) Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Organ Donation Act 2017 (Third Reading), TSR Government

ORGAN DONATION BILL 2017
    An Act to expand the Welsh 'opt-out' human transplant system to England.

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1: DEFINTIONS
    "transplantation activities" is as defined in Section 3.2 of the Human Transplanation (Wales) Act 2013.

2: CONSENT AND THE ORGAN DONATION REGISTER
    (1) Once a person turns 18 they will be placed on the NHS Organ Donation Register if they have given express consent (see sections 4 to 7 of the Human Transplantation (Wales) or deemed consent (see sections 4 to 9 of the Human Transplantation (Wales).
    (2) At any age, a person may be placed on the NHS Organ Donor Register if they give express consent (see sections 4 and 7 of the Human Transplanation (Wales) Act 2013).
    (3) Transplanation activities involving those on the NHS Organ Donor Register are lawful.

3: APPLICATION OF EXISTING ACTS
    (1) All references to “Wales” in the sections of the Human Transplantation (Wales) Act 2013 that are referenced in this Act are, for the purposes of this Act, taken to refer to “England and Wales”.
    (2) All references to “Welsh Ministers” in the sections of the Human Transplantation (Wales) Act 2013 that are referenced in this Act are, for the purposes of this Act, taken to refer to “The Secretary of State with responsibility for Health and Welsh Ministers”.

4: PUBLIC INFORMATION AND DUTY OF PROMOTION
    (1) The Secretary of State with responsibility for Health must—
    (1) a. promote transplantation as a means of improving the health of the people of England,
    (1) b. provide information and increase awareness about transplantation, and
    (1) c. inform the public of the circumstances in which consent to transplantation activities is deemed to be given in the absence of express consent.
    (2) To ensure that the Secretary of State's obligations under subsection 1 are fulfilled they must ensure that—
    (2) a. individuals will be notified that they will be automatically added to the Organ Donor Register when they receive their National Insurance Number from Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs.
    (2) b. 3 months before eligible people turn 18, they will be sent a detailed information pack with information about organ donation
    (2) c. an individual may request the latest edition of the aforementioned information pack at anytime.
    (2) d. people have the option to receive all future information packs electronically.
    (3) The Secretary of State must, for the first five years after this section comes into force, report annually to Parliament on the steps taken to fulfil their duties under this Act.

5: EXTENT, COMMENCEMENT AND SHORT TITLE
    (1) This Act extends to England.
    (2) The provisions of this Act come into force on 1st January 2018.
    (3) This Act may be cited as the Human Transplantation (England) Act 2017.

Notes
    Currently, 1000 people die in Britain each year because of organ shortages. It is estimated that almost all of these deaths could be prevented if there was a minor change in the system; making organ donation an opt out system rather than an opt in one. Under the current system, the main reason why people may not add themselves to the organ donor list is simply because they simply lack the time and motivation to do so.

There are several reasons why people may object to donating their organs after they pass away, often due to their religion. If people do not wish to donate their organs when they die, they will be completely entitled to remove themselves from the Organ Donation Register without any cost concurred. This is not some radical new innovation worthy of suspicion. It is simply an expansion of a policy already in place in Wales which the British Medical Association claims has already saved dozens of lives. Policies like this exist in countries like Spain and Austria.

BMA: "By modelling different scenarios, we show that only a policy of presumed consent will substantially increase the number of organs available for transplantation."

Furthermore, an increase in the availability of deceased donor organs will massively reduce (if not entirely eliminate) the need for living donors (i.e. Kidney donors - the only type of organ donation between living people). Living donors can suffer a markedly reduced quality of life and whilst its a fantastic altruistic thing to do this would make such sacrifice less necessary.

As the Department of Health has highlighted in its recent statement of intent, every household in the country will receive a leaflet that will explain what this piece of legislation means for their family, why organ donation is important, what an opt out system is, and when, should the bill pass, changes will begin to take effect. The leaflet will further explain how individuals can opt out of the system, should they wish. Costs for this particular process will be in the region of £9.3 million. Furthermore, citizens in England will receive information before they are placed on the register.

As such, concerns relating to informing the citizenry have been fully addressed and this reform should be supported by those who value human life.

Useful links:
    Welsh Act: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/anaw/2...ntents/enacted
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/jun/22/doctors-to-lobby-for-opt-out-organ-donor-
    system
    http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.u...ail/story.html
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huma...ales)_Act_2013
    http://www.nhsbt.nhs.uk/to2020/resou...ionintheUK.pdf

Changes for the second reading:
    Spoiler:
    Show

- Added 2 exemptions.
    - Added section on 'Information'.
    - Added a definiton.
    - Expanded the notes.

Changes for the third reading:
    Spoiler:
    Show

The government reviewed the existing legislation for Wales and found it to be wholly reasonable and clear. For the sake of consistency and simplicity the government have elected to expand the Welsh Act rather than implement a near-identical parallel Act in England.

- Miscellaneous formatting and grammatical corrections
    - Preamble changed
    - New Section 1
    - Section 4 expanded and reformatted
    - 2.1 changed so notification goes out when one receives their national insurance number.
    - Extent changed to only England.
    - Short title changed for the sake off consistency with the Welsh Act.
    - Commencement pushed to 2018.
    - Notes expanded and corrected with new links added

ReputationRep:
    hahaha "deemed consent".

A.K.A if I don't say anything, feel free to rip out my organs.

Strange we don't have the idea of deemed consent when it comes to sexual consent. The SJWs at labour would probably have a heart attack.

Stil a Nay, as before.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Nay - won't be repeating myself.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Aye
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Still a Nay - also, the title of the thread needs changing.

ReputationRep:
    Still a nay from me, i've already explained why in the last reading.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    My debate with Quamquam123 swayed me to an aye previously, and so that is what I will vote for.

ReputationRep:
    Section 2:1 needs to be proofread.

That aside, the Welsh Act does seem to provide good safeguards to ensure only consenting adults end up on the register, so I am not opposed.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BobBobson)
    hahaha "deemed consent".

A.K.A if I don't say anything, feel free to rip out my organs.

Strange we don't have the idea of deemed consent when it comes to sexual consent. The SJWs at labour would probably have a heart attack.

Stil a Nay, as before.
    Terrible, terrible comparison. Somehow I don't think human transplantation from the dead to keep the living alive compares to raping someone.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    Section 2:1 needs to be proofread.

That aside, the Welsh Act does seem to provide good safeguards to ensure only consenting adults end up on the register, so I am not opposed.
    Indeed, not sure what happened there.

For that, I truly thank you.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    This has my full support

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Aye. This bill has been tightened up a LOT and hopefully the government's commitment to this cause in the face of not inconsiderable opposition helps in part to show how important we view the plight of those who could be saved if only policies like this were in place.

We have set the date quite far in advance - giving fair warning. We have committed to informing everyone of how they can opt-out if they should want to (and I suspect not all that many people actually will want to when they think about it) in various ways. We have put together a solid bill that draws from legislation already successfully implemented. This is a bill which is well thought out and offers a clear and effective solution to a genuine problem. As we've seen tonight, not all MHoC bills - even successful ones - meet that standard. I urge members to vote in favour.

ReputationRep:
    Nay.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Aye – this is uncontroversial in Wales and I'm sure when this is introduced in England (which I don't doubt will happen by Canon at some point even if this fails) it will become equally uncontroversial.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    No, this is a lazy way of extending a bill from Wales to England; the bill should be rewritten for England.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    No, this is a lazy way of extending a bill from Wales to England; the bill should be rewritten for England.
    There'd literally be no point - we'd just be plagiarising the Welsh bill. I dare say that this was less lazy - we actually changed things from the Welsh bill to write this one.

ReputationRep:
    Come on, I know you have ideological objections to this Bill.

Stop being lazy with your objections.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Come on, I know you have ideological objections to this Bill.

Stop being lazy with your objections.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My objection is the bill gives an incentive for doctors to allow patients to die to harvest their organs, for example, if there is an elderly patient that needs intensive care, there is an incentive to allow the elderly patient to die to take their organs to give to a young child who has a longer life: that is wrong to me.

ReputationRep:
    My objection is the bill gives an incentive for doctors to allow patients to die to harvest their organs, for example, if there is an elderly patient that needs intensive care, there is an incentive to allow the elderly patient to die to take their organs to give to a young child who has a longer life: that is wrong to me.
    Thanks. Better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    aye

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 12, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.