Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B1116 - Royal Anthem Bill 2017 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Nay. Don't feel strongly about republicanism but I don't want to emphasise the royals' presence in the country.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedManc)
    Jerusalem is better than both
    Jerusalem is very good but I just think it would be rather strange to have it as the British national anthem.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Nay I see no reason to have a designated royal anthem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    Jerusalem is very good but I just think it would be rather strange to have it as the British national anthem.
    Fair point
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    No. (Even though I'm not a tory)
    Jerusalem would be a better anthem
    Nay. I vow to thee my country is much better.
    For a royal anthem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    For a royal anthem?
    Sex Pistols- God Save The Queen
    Spoiler:
    Show

Only joking. The original god save the queen should remain the anthem.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Nay

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    :rofl:
    No. The royal family are one family among millions. They do not need a special song about them to be played at state occasions.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I suppose for as long as we have a monarchy I can support this for events when royals are present.

(Original post by joecphillips)
    Why not at the start of professional sporting events like the American national anthem
    What, every single sports match? That's overkill – keep it for special occasions like finals and internationals. The royal anthem should only be played where royals are present, though. I'd be keen to see that in the bill.

No. (Even though I'm not a tory)
    Jerusalem would be a better anthem
    Jerusalem is the national anthem of England in TSRland.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Nay. I vow to thee my country is much better.
    "I vow to thee, my country" is still the national anthem, it's just that "God save the Queen" would be the royal anthem.

(Original post by Birchington)
    Hard to beat a bit of Jerusalem tbh.
    Jerusalem is not appropriate for the Royal Anthem.

Which is why the bill was withdrawn? Hardly trying very hard.
    We introduced the National Anthem Bill to reinstate GSTQ, it got withdrawn, this Bill is a compromise on the comments people by the left made during the previous legislation.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilhuff Tarkin)
    "I vow to thee, my country" is still the national anthem, it's just that "God save the Queen" would be the royal anthem.

Jerusalem is not appropriate for the Royal Anthem.

We introduced the National Anthem Bill to reinstate GSTQ, it got withdrawn, this Bill is a compromise on the comments people by the left made during the previous legislation.
    It got withdrawn, i.e. you didn't even bother properly trying.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    It got withdrawn, i.e. you didn't even bother properly trying.
    You don't seem to understand that no matter how the Conservative Party were to slice and dice, it wouldn't have been passed. This Bill is essentially the same except for it's made to place God save the Queen as the royal anthem.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Jerusalem is the national anthem of England in TSRland.
    If only it were irl.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    If only it were irl.
    No, no... Most definitely not.

ReputationRep:
    Rule Britannia is better
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    You don't seem to understand that no matter how the Conservative Party were to slice and dice, it wouldn't have been passed. This Bill is essentially the same except for it's made to place God save the Queen as the royal anthem.
    Are you saying that there are people calling themselves Conservatives who would not have supported the move, or that because the reception was largely negative it could not pass (I have demonstrated that the latter is not true, and not too long ago actually)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Are you saying that there are people calling themselves Conservatives who would not have supported the move, or that because the reception was largely negative it could not pass (I have demonstrated that the latter is not true, and not too long ago actually)?
    Reception in the house was largely against having GstQ as the national anthem.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Reception in the house was largely against having GstQ as the national anthem.
    Based on a few vocal members. What if I told you that a few months ago I passed a bill with even more vocal opposition, with the strongest opponents saying "don't even embarrass yourself with division"?

Do you need me to do the maths? I would hope that there are 20 ayes to be had in the 13 "Conservative" MPs, 6 UKIP MPs, and myself that immediately puts it in the "could easily be close box" I would expect a couple of non voters in there bringing the pass mark down. Even with some of the more sensible Liberals (as oxymoronic as that is) having left the party I would expect maybe an aye or two there and a couple of abstentions, and even if no ayes from the government I would expect abstentions. If the government whipped (which they probably would and pretend they aren't) then fair enough, but it also means they're pathetic enough to whip it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    "Conservative" MPs
    Someone's sour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    Why not at the start of professional sporting events like the American national anthem
    GSTQ isn't the national anthem here - the MHoC voted to change it to "I vow to thee my country". I don't believe there's anything preventing sporting organisations playing the national anthem before matches, and indeed it is still played before major cup finals in football and of course England internationals in a variety of sports, but clearly it's not something the state should be compelling them to do.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 22, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.