Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B1116 - Royal Anthem Bill 2017 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    GSTQ isn't the national anthem here - the MHoC voted to change it to "I vow to thee my country". I don't believe there's anything preventing sporting organisations playing the national anthem before matches, and indeed it is still played before major cup finals in football and of course England internationals in a variety of sports, but clearly it's not something the state should be compelling them to do.
    I don't see the point in this but they might as well go all in and get it everywhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    I suppose for as long as we have a monarchy I can support this for events when royals are present.

What, every single sports match? That's overkill – keep it for special occasions like finals and internationals. The royal anthem should only be played where royals are present, though. I'd be keen to see that in the bill.

Jerusalem is the national anthem of England in TSRland.
    That's brilliant

ReputationRep:
    All this talk and not one mention of Land of Hope and Glory.

Damn.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conceited)
    All this talk and not one mention of Land of Hope and Glory.

Damn.
    It's not very singable, that's the problem.

Jerusalem and I Vow To Thee are better songs.

ReputationRep:
    Stop I introducing these stupid anthem bills.

And nay! We aren't a monarchy and we don't reference god in government
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gladstone1885)

Another angry republican!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilhuff Tarkin)
    Another angry republican!
    He's american; they fought a war to be free of monarchy and for the seperation of church and state back in the day.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Connor27)
    He's american; they fought a war to be free of monarchy and for the seperation of church and state back in the day.
    Explains why he's an angry republican, then!

ReputationRep:

I mean, factually we are a monarchy without separation of church and state, much as I dislike that fact.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    I mean, factually we are a monarchy without separation of church and state, much as I dislike that fact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'll specify: we have a monarchy, but we are not a monarchic form of government. And to a large degree we do have separation of church and state. We just have to let the remaining bits from when everybody was a Christian to slowly die off.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I literally do not care.

I'll probably vote against because I'm getting the impression that this is being done to make GSTQ a de facto national anthem, when the one we have - I Vow to Thee, My Country - is very good as it is. I mean, what's the point of having a 'Royal Anthem'?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    I literally do not care.

I'll probably vote against because I'm getting the impression that this is being done to make GSTQ a de facto national anthem, when the one we have - I Vow to Thee, My Country - is very good as it is. I mean, what's the point of having a 'Royal Anthem'?
    It's reasonably common in Western monarchies – really so your royal-praising dirge doesn't have to be used for all national events.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    No, I am against using legislation to set anthems, the original bill these anthem bills are based on should be repealed.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilhuff Tarkin)
    Someone's sour.
    You guys seem to have an obsession with accusing me of being sour for leaving the Liberals.

I'll also take the fact that the best retort you can find is that to mean "shut up I was stupid"
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:

Might want to tell her Majesty that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    You guys seem to have an obsession with accusing me of being sour for leaving the Liberals.

I'll also take the fact that the best retort you can find is that to mean "shut up I was stupid"
    Tories?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Tories?
    More or less the same thing.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    nay nay nay nay naynay nay nay nay naynay nay nay nay naynay nay nay nay nay
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I was just thinking "surely GSTQ is already the royal anthem"

Lo and behold, according to Wikipedia at least I was correct.

Nay, this is yet another non bill that does nothing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 22, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.