Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Nay on the points Jammy has made

ReputationRep:
    It's got nothing to do with free speech. We are not inviting him here to have him speak on his seducion tactics and immigration policies. He's here because it's in our national interest.

But as Jammy has said, this is a redundant motion.

(Original post by Connor27)
      And, I'm assuming, you think that Robert Mugabe, Xi Jingping and the numerous other vile cretins that have made state visits and spoken in parliament 'deserved it'?

To the motion, aye, we've had worse, and I'm positive that we'll have worse still, but freedom of speech is absolute and no one should be barred from entering because of their political views, a couple of countries tried that approach in the last century; didn't work particularly well.
      No I do not, they did not deserve it either. Just because we haven't been vigilant in the past does not mean we should not start now.
      • Very Important Poster
      • Study Helper
      • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Birchington)
      I do agree that the motion pretty much states the obvious, but see no reason to vote No purely because the motion is 'lazy'.
      Tbh, I don't really see how it can be called 'lazy' - I would more see it as something to try and show activity imo, since it's redundant...
      • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by mobbsy91)
      Tbh, I don't really see how it can be called 'lazy' - I would more see it as something to try and show activity imo, since it's redundant...
      Fair enough.
      • Community Assistant
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      I would rather engage with him, in order to challenge what he represents and persuade others to condemn than suppress what he represents and pretend it's not there.
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      Even more of a reason to vote no in protest of the action
      • Very Important Poster
      • Study Helper
      • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Jammy Duel)
      Even more of a reason to vote no in protest of the action
      Yeh, I'll probably be abstaining as I support the premise, just not them doing the motion...

(Original post by 04MR17)
        I would rather engage with him, in order to challenge what he represents and persuade others to condemn than suppress what he represents and pretend it's not there.
        We can just do that with him on twitter.

ReputationRep:
        I guess I'll vote for it if it comes to that. But as Jammy said, there's really no point.
        • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
        Nay

Posted from TSR Mobile
        • Community Assistant
        • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
        As Foreign Secretary, this isn't happening. As I've said before, Trump is a racist misogynist and the government has no intention of pandering to such individuals.
        • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
        Which MP is seconding this motion as there are no Libertarian MPs?

ReputationRep:
        Jammy Duel hazzer1998 jape mobbsy91

This motion might not be perfect but with the way the foreign secretary has responded shows why this is needed, the government do not intend to have him here
        • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by joecphillips)
        Jammy Duel hazzer1998

This motion might not be perfect but with the way the foreign secretary has responded shows why this is needed, the government do not intend to have him here
        Have they stated he is not going to be coming? No, okay then, this remains absolutely pointless and serves to do nothing but artificially boost output. It seems to be becoming common at the moment to put forwards items that are already covered by the canon amendment.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
        Which MP is seconding this motion as there are no Libertarian MPs?
        The only place motions are mentioned is in the guidance document it does not mention needing a mp

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by joecphillips)
        Jammy Duel hazzer1998 jape mobbsy91

Alright, I'll support it.
        • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
        Nah, I was on skype with Trump this morning. He seemed cool with it. Thinks our weather would mess with his hair anyway.
        • Very Important Poster
        • Study Helper
        • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by RayApparently)
        Nah, I was on skype with Trump this morning. He seemed cool with it. Thinks our weather would mess with his hair anyway.
        I think he should just shave it all off!
        • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
        I think he should just shave it all off!
        Perhaps the government will offer him an especially favourable trade deal in exchange for him shaving it off. :yy:

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2017
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.