Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Perhaps the government will offer him an especially favourable trade deal in exchange for him shaving it off. :yy:
    That certainly is a cracking idea, one I think he'd go for!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jape)
    Alright, I'll support it.
    As I've already stated, the TSR government has nowhere said they are cancelling the state visit, ergo it is happening in TSR land, ergo I am going to go and be unparliamentary and day that joecphillips is outright lying and they know it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    As I've already stated, the TSR government has nowhere said they are cancelling the state visit, ergo it is happening in TSR land, ergo I am going to go and be unparliamentary and day that joecphillips is outright lying and they know it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Does Aspie's statement in this thread not count as confirmation of a cancellation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jape)
    Does Aspie's statement in this thread not count as confirmation of a cancellation?
    I don't know if it was confirmation but they were speaking from their position which we can only assume means what that it is what the government believe, this might not have been the perfect motion but it would at least make it harder for them to cancel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    I don't know if it was confirmation but they were speaking from their position which we can only assume means what that it is what the government believe, this might not have been the perfect motion but it would at least make it harder for them to cancel
    I think the House would appreciate some clarity on this issue. RayApparently

ReputationRep:
    Nay. I recognise that it's impractical not to deal with America given their international relevance, but we don't need to and absolutely shouldn't be honouring a fascist who wishes to discriminate against many people we are elected to represent.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jape)
    There's been no statement, it's also not his call, it's the PM's on behalf of the Royal Court

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Aye, obviously.

ReputationRep:
    Aye, if this actually fails it will be a shameful representation of Britain

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    As Foreign Secretary, this isn't happening. As I've said before, Trump is a racist misogynist and the government has no intention of pandering to such individuals.
    Maintaining diplomatic relationships is not pandering or condoning.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    Maintaining diplomatic relationships is not pandering or condoning.
    Yes it is. Failure to condemn is implicit condonation.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jape)
    I think the House would appreciate some clarity on this issue. RayApparently
    To clarify for the House:

Some members will recall when asked about the effect Mr Trump's election would have on the 'special relationship' during PMQs I replied that "the United Kingdom has no greater friend, or closer ally than the United States of America" and that this would not change. But I do not believe that the solidarity between our nations or our ability to forge strong economic ties is dependant on how quickly the President is able to visit our beautiful capital. And given the controversy of his potentially visiting - the fact this motion was thought necessary is testament to that - I will not approve a state visit until further deliberation with colleagues. I am away for the weekend, and so it may take a few days for those deliberations to occur. As such, (in the MHoC) No.10 has discussed a potential visit with the White House, but not yet extended a formal invitation.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thoughts on the above by the pm?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    Nay. I recognise that it's impractical not to deal with America given their international relevance, but we don't need to and absolutely shouldn't be honouring a fascist who wishes to discriminate against many people we are elected to represent.
    I think actual victims of fascism would scoff at your remarks here.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notneb)
    We can just do that with him on twitter.
    Not physically we can't.
    I'm thinking John Prescott:giggle:

ReputationRep:
    Aye. Although there is no issue with his visit at the moment it certainly can't hurt to have something in writing, especially if someone has already gone to the trouble of drafting the motion.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    Thoughts on the above by the pm?
    Then the Prime Minister needs reminding that the government has not yet reversed the invitation

Some members will recall when asked about the effect Mr Trump's election would have on the 'special relationship' during PMQs I replied that "the United Kingdom has no greater friend, or closer ally than the United States of America" and that this would not change. But I do not believe that the solidarity between our nations or our ability to forge strong economic ties is dependant on how quickly the President is able to visit our beautiful capital. And given the controversy of his potentially visiting - the fact this motion was thought necessary is testament to that - I will not approve a state visit until further deliberation with colleagues. I am away for the weekend, and so it may take a few days for those deliberations to occur. As such, (in the MHoC) No.10 has discussed a potential visit with the White House, but not yet extended a formal invitation.
    Mirror is the first article that talked about what I wanted it to, so here we go: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politic...t-date-9784319

You don't need to sanction a visit, Theresa May already did that for you 27/01/17, or can we expect a statement tonight from the government cancelling the visit until further notice?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:

To account for my earlier comments, I should add that as Foreign Secretary I was present for the later part of this discussion but was misled into thinking the visit had already been confirmed to be going ahead by President Trump's repeated interjections that the UK was 'the greatest country in Europe' and that if he was a UK politician he would win a landslide victory because he, Mr Brexit, was a winner whose UK support, despite the fake news mainstream media coverage, was 'yuuuuge, really, really great, we're talking bigly here, folks'.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    To account for my earlier comments, I should add that as Foreign Secretary I was present for the later part of this discussion but was misled into thinking the visit had already been confirmed to be going ahead by President Trump's repeated interjections that the UK was 'the greatest country in Europe' and that if he was a UK politician he would win a landslide victory because he, Mr Brexit, was a winner whose UK support, despite the fake news mainstream media coverage, was 'yuuuuge, really, really great, we're talking bigly here, folks'.
    Are you accusing literally every credible news outlet in the country of spewing fake news?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Are you accusing literally every credible news outlet in the country of spewing fake news?
    As I see it, the canon thing only applies to actual legislation passed irl and not to actions of the rl government, so while Trump still wants a state visit to our hypothetical country, the invitation is non-existent.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.