The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 1
Chubb
OK so I'm sure that most of you all ready know that Birmingham's student union is not a studetn union at all; its a guild. Now I've heard that its called the guild because its been given the special status by a royal charter or something like that. However the question is this: What is the difference between a guild and a union? There must be one otherwise why bother having the charter in the first place?

Royal charter simply allows the place to call itself a university (I've not heard about a university SU recieving charter). I'm almost certain that they have called it a guild simply to differentiate it from other SU's in the country (I think anyway :confused: ), much like the way that Durham call its accomodation colleges. :biggrin:
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
I didn't know that, I thought it was just called the Guild cos we're special :frown:.
Reply 3
Nylex
I didn't know that, I thought it was just called the Guild cos we're special :frown:.

Edinburgh's is called an asscosiation and I think that Bristol's is renaming thiers also. Why can we not just stick with calling them SU's. :rolleyes:
Reply 4
Leekey
Edinburgh's is called an asscosiation and I think that Bristol's is renaming thiers also. Why can we not just stick with calling them SU's. :rolleyes:

Lol, could do but BUSU doesn't have the same ring to it as BUGS.
Reply 5
Nylex
Lol, could do but BUSU doesn't have the same ring to it as BUGS.

Ahhh, so that explains why they had to think of a new name. BUGS sounds really cool so they had to find a word beginning with G so they could call it BUGS. :biggrin:
Reply 6
I'm sure I read somewhere that it was because it was the first SU in the country, or something like that
Reply 7
Leekey
Royal charter simply allows the place to call itself a university (I've not heard about a university SU recieving charter). I'm almost certain that they have called it a guild simply to differentiate it from other SU's in the country (I think anyway :confused: ), much like the way that Durham call its accomodation colleges. :biggrin:

No its definetly something special (ie not all unions can call themselves guilds).
Reply 8
Chubb
No its definetly something special (ie not all unions can call themselves guilds).

From BUGS website...

"As such, we are basically a Students’ Union, but a special granted charter allows us to call ourselves a Guild."

It would appear that it is just a cosmetic thing. :wink: :biggrin:
Reply 9
Leekey
From BUGS website...

"As such, we are basically a Students’ Union, but a special granted charter allows us to call ourselves a Guild."

It would appear that it is just a cosmetic thing. :wink: :biggrin:

Yeh I meant that the charter was special (you couldn't just call yourself whatever you wanted too) though you have answered my original question any way. :smile:
Reply 10
They have to call it something posh so they can warrant charging such expensive prices.

Tim.
Reply 11
it was the first SU or something and it was called the guild of students becasue SU's didn't exist.

Latest

Trending

Trending