Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi all

I am the parent of a daughter in Yr 13 sixth form. She has her conditional first choice Uni firmed and also her Insurance choice starting September 2017. Both Uni'S are not Oxbridge.

The first choice Uni has been very supportive throughout the application process and this has been great for my daughter. But in the past month, her soon-to-be lecturers are sending her articles of 25+ pages in length for her to read and comment on. She has taken things on board with enthusiasm but doing 4 A levels is very time consuming and she now feels under added extra pressure to sound enthusiastic, comment and feedback on the articles sent to her etc from the Uni lecturers.

As a parent I cannot get involved as this is the next stage of her life, but feel like telling the Uni, could you please hold off until she gets there in September as now is a critical time for A levels and she doesn't need this extra pressure. She of course doesn't feel able to ask the Uni lecturer to back off for now and I have scratched my head for a solution, but haven't come up with anything.

Does anyone here have any advice please?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi all

I am the parent of a daughter in Yr 13 sixth form. She has her conditional first choice Uni firmed and also her Insurance choice starting September 2017. Both Uni'S are not Oxbridge.

The first choice Uni has been very supportive throughout the application process and this has been great for my daughter. But in the past month, her soon-to-be lecturers are sending her articles of 25+ pages in length for her to read and comment on. She has taken things on board with enthusiasm but doing 4 A levels is very time consuming and she now feels under added extra pressure to sound enthusiastic, comment and feedback on the articles sent to her etc from the Uni lecturers.

As a parent I cannot get involved as this is the next stage of her life, but feel like telling the Uni, could you please hold off until she gets there in September as now is a critical time for A levels and she doesn't need this extra pressure. She of course doesn't feel able to ask the Uni lecturer to back off for now and I have scratched my head for a solution, but haven't come up with anything.

Does anyone here have any advice please?
    Are you sure she hasn't requested the extra reading?

Can I ask which university this is? It sounds rather odd to be doing this at this early stage in the process.

Just asking PQ if this is common practice?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    This doesn't sound like normal practice at all. At this point most of us have our hands full with our current students and are unlikely to have time to look at things that someone who may not even get to us sends us. As jneill says, are you sure this hasn't been requested by your daughter? I also suggest that maybe her email address has been added to some mailing list by the uni in error so it may be worth emailing the uni to ask what this is about. Even if the uni does send stuff to new students it will be much later (Aug-Sept time) and much lighter stuff. I completely agree that your daughter should be focusing on her A levels now and nothing else. She's done her bit by getting conditional offers and needs to focus on getting to uni now by getting the grades.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.