Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does society/media over exaggerate how bad drugs are for people?

Personally I think the government should be more like in holland where they don't go shouting that you're gonna die if you try drugs, instead they help with the do's and don'ts, surely that would be more helpful?

Not saying how but I know drugs don't kill people as society publicises stupidly.

I think there's two categories drugs fall into.
    Less/addictive dangerous class A such as MDMA and Cocaine
    More/addictive dangerous class A such as crack and heroin

Drug related deaths are commonly due to the person taking not knowing the do's and don'ts, not because the drug kills them!

Everyone who has tried anything will know for a fact if the government told people how to use safely there wouldn't be teenagers dying.

Simple things such as how much water one should drink, and how much is safe to take to not OD! Many Ecstasy deaths are due to people drinking too much water and flooding their organs..

My suggestion is something like the Drugs Lab on youtube, which is funded by the Dutch government to help people with the do's and don'ts. British government and society should do it too instead of just calling people stupid and being so against it.

Ps. Alcohol is just as bad as many drugs.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I know two people who have had heart attacks (confirmed MIs) at the age of 28 because of drugs. Does that answer your question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    I know two people who have had heart attacks (confirmed MIs) at the age of 28 because of drugs. Does that answer your question?
    Depends what drugs and I know people who have ended up in hospital because of alcohol, what's your point.

ReputationRep:
    If we even knew the effect alcohol would have had on society, we would have never allowed it to get so widespread and commercialized. Saying that "alcohol is just as bad as many drugs" is probably true in some aspects, but I don't see why that should be an argument as to why drugs should be decriminalized (though they virtually have been in the past decade).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joel 96)
    If we even knew the effect alcohol would have had on society, we would have never allowed it to get so widespread and commercialized. Saying that "alcohol is just as bad as many drugs" is probably true in some aspects, but I don't see why that should be an argument as to why drugs should be decriminalized (though they virtually have been in the past decade).
    Not saying it should be de criminalised, but more should be done to help people who will do it as it's inevitable that it'll happen, helping people would reduce chances of anything bad happening.

Simple things like drug testing kits are really good but not enough people know about them. Just think the government should do more to provide information and not just argue against something that'll always be within society

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0to100)
    nah thumbs down for drugs mate

except weed
    No harm in trying the safer ones,

see for me weeds a no personally, had my times with it, but seen how bad people get with it, loads of my mates dropped out of sixth form cos they got lazy and all they did was smoke. Still think should be legal tho.

Taking a pill or whatever once every few months or so is better then gettin high constantly I think

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Discussion of drugs isnt allowed unfortunately

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roger11)
    No harm in trying the safer ones,

see for me weeds a no personally, had my times with it, but seen how bad people get with it, loads of my mates dropped out of sixth form cos they got lazy and all they did was smoke. Still think should be legal tho.

Taking a pill or whatever once every few months or so is better then gettin high constantly I think

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well I'm not a scientist so I dont know which drugs are more harmful than others that's why I think it's best to make them all illegal including the legal highs and cigs and even drink if you wanna discuss dangers. But as tat's probably unrealistic to ban them all, then they need to make weed legal as well, just regulate it in some way.

Nah I've seen people die from pills mate. I've never seen people die from weed lol but I'm not gonna sit here and claim it's completely safe or clever to use either. I'm glad I kicked all that stuff time ago, except a couple pints ofc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Okay, you've known 2 people out of how many people?. Keep the emotional anecdotes out, please .

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.