Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Owain53)
    No problem I'd really recommend liverpool cos of how friendly the teachers were. At a lot of unis I went to, you didn't get teachers who were as friendly. But it depends on you and what you want. And where you wanna go, that's the biggest thing.
    Before I got my offers I thought that I would go to Liverpool, but when I got an offer to study Business Management at the University of Sheffield I started to look more at rankings and stuff, and generally Sheffield is higher than Liverpool, and also another fact is that Sheffield is triple accredited.. but in the other hand I didn't like that much the University of Sheffield campus, and the fact that the Management School is not located near the University of Sheffield main buildings (but in the other hand the Management School is very recent - I think that they built it in 2013 or something). And also, there are a lot more portuguese students at Liverpool, and I know some students that will go to Liverpool this year, but I don't know students that study in Sheffield and this year I'll probably go alone (from the portuguese community) to Sheffield.. but is that an important factor? I don't know :/

ReputationRep:
    I'm welsh, don't know if that counts as foreign lol.

I regret not applying for philharmonic as backup instead of crown. I kinda think there would be less competition for accom there cos of the price, and cos there is high demand for Crown apparently.

It's Vine that I really want though.
    Yeah philharmonics in the middle in terms of price and quality, you applied for a studio or en -suite?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beanmaker)
    Yeah philharmonics in the middle in terms of price and quality, you applied for a studio or en -suite?
    Ensuite for all my choices

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andrepinto99)
    Before I got my offers I thought that I would go to Liverpool, but when I got an offer to study Business Management at the University of Sheffield I started to look more at rankings and stuff, and generally Sheffield is higher than Liverpool, and also another fact is that Sheffield is triple accredited.. but in the other hand I didn't like that much the University of Sheffield campus, and the fact that the Management School is not located near the University of Sheffield main buildings (but in the other hand the Management School is very recent - I think that they built it in 2013 or something). And also, there are a lot more portuguese students at Liverpool, and I know some students that will go to Liverpool this year, but I don't know students that study in Sheffield and this year I'll probably go alone (from the portuguese community) to Sheffield.. but is that an important factor? I don't know :/
    For me, if you like the campus or not is a big thing. I can't say for everyone on that, but for me the campus is a big thing. Some of the other unis I visited, like Surrey, had a brilliant management school but the campus was horrible. It put me off, and that i didn't like the area, so I'd say it's a big thing if you don't like the campus. But it's different for everyone though as everyone might not be put off it cos of that though.

With being alone it depends on how you feel. Would you feel comfortable going to Sheffield all on your own when all your friends are going to Liverpool and gonna have a good time together. Just depends how close you are with them and if you wanna be around them and have them around for if something tough happens.

Yeah Sheffield is better in the rankings slightly, but it's not that much. Like they're both russel group universities, both elite institutions, you won't go wrong with either. I'd just say pick the one you like the look of best. You can look of campus tours and room tours on youtube. Watch the amateur ones, the official videos are biased to show them in the best possible way, while the amateur ones show what it's really like on a day to day basis.

But yeah, just pick the one you like the look of best. Don't worry too much about rankings cos they're both elite and both russel group unis. If you don't like the campus at Sheffield, and if your friends aren't going there, then take that into consideration.

ReputationRep:
    For me, if you like the campus or not is a big thing. I can't say for everyone on that, but for me the campus is a big thing. Some of the other unis I visited, like Surrey, had a brilliant management school but the campus was horrible. It put me off, and that i didn't like the area, so I'd say it's a big thing if you don't like the campus. But it's different for everyone though as everyone might not be put off it cos of that though.

With being alone it depends on how you feel. Would you feel comfortable going to Sheffield all on your own when all your friends are going to Liverpool and gonna have a good time together. Just depends how close you are with them and if you wanna be around them and have them around for if something tough happens.

Yeah Sheffield is better in the rankings slightly, but it's not that much. Like they're both russel group universities, both elite institutions, you won't go wrong with either. I'd just say pick the one you like the look of best. You can look of campus tours and room tours on youtube. Watch the amateur ones, the official videos are biased to show them in the best possible way, while the amateur ones show what it's really like on a day to day basis.

But yeah, just pick the one you like the look of best. Don't worry too much about rankings cos they're both elite and both russel group unis. If you don't like the campus at Sheffield, and if your friends aren't going there, then take that into consideration.
    I'm gonna search for those youtube videos then, it sounds like a good idea.

I don't have friends that go to Liverpool, I'm talking about the portuguese community that are going to/already are in the UK. Personally, I only know 2 friends that go to the UK, one is going to Manchester and the other one to London, but that is not a key factor for me. When I talked about the portuguese community, I was referring to those portuguese students that like me are going to the UK this year (through an association that help us to study in the UK). I don't know no one from this community, so, I don't know who is going to Liverpool, I just referred them because having portuguese colleagues would make the adaption to a diferent country easier, but I don't know if I can really count that, because as I said, I don't know them.

Another thing that I don't know if you can help me or not: I applied to Business Management with a year in industry in the University of Liverpool. Is this placement year guaranteed? I'm asking this because in Sheffield, the Business Management course says that it has an "optional placement year", and I don't know if this placement year at Sheffield is guaranteed to anyone who applies for one or is just for a restricted group of students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andrepinto99)
    I'm gonna search for those youtube videos then, it sounds like a good idea.

I don't have friends that go to Liverpool, I'm talking about the portuguese community that are going to/already are in the UK. Personally, I only know 2 friends that go to the UK, one is going to Manchester and the other one to London, but that is not a key factor for me. When I talked about the portuguese community, I was referring to those portuguese students that like me are going to the UK this year (through an association that help us to study in the UK). I don't know no one from this community, so, I don't know who is going to Liverpool, I just referred them because having portuguese colleagues would make the adaption to a diferent country easier, but I don't know if I can really count that, because as I said, I don't know them.

Another thing that I don't know if you can help me or not: I applied to Business Management with a year in industry in the University of Liverpool. Is this placement year guaranteed? I'm asking this because in Sheffield, the Business Management course says that it has an "optional placement year", and I don't know if this placement year at Sheffield is guaranteed to anyone who applies for one or is just for a restricted group of students.
    Ah, ok if you don't already know them, then I wouldn't worry about that when making your decision on which uni to go for.

It's optional. Like, say if you can't find a placement, you can do the course without the placement. But the uni tries to help you to get a placement. It's what they told us when we went there to visit. That if you can't get a placement, you can transfer to just the 3 year business management course with no trouble.

Nahh, I'd say it's the same at Sheffield. If you can't get a placement then you won't do the placement year. It isn't guaranteed at either.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, ok if you don't already know them, then I wouldn't worry about that when making your decision on which uni to go for.

It's optional. Like, say if you can't find a placement, you can do the course without the placement. But the uni tries to help you to get a placement. It's what they told us when we went there to visit. That if you can't get a placement, you can transfer to just the 3 year business management course with no trouble.

Nahh, I'd say it's the same at Sheffield. If you can't get a placement then you won't do the placement year. It isn't guaranteed at either.
    Hum, I see. Thanks for the help!

ReputationRep:
    Is it a competitive course? Are they lenient on requirements?

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone applied and accepted the offer for MSC Accounting batch sept 2017-2018 from university of liverpool?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Articles:

University of Liverpool Guide

Featured accommodation profiles:

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Quick links:

Unanswered University of Liverpool ThreadsStalking pages becomes University Connect, connect to other Liverpool applicants now!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.