The Student Room Group

Medical school at 17 or gap year?

Hello!!

I have decided that I would love to study medicine, but I am up a year at school and as such am in year 12 but am still only 15 until March. This has led to problems obtaining work experience - for example, my birthday being at the end of March, I am unable to join my local NHS hospital's weekly work experience volunteering scheme in March, and must wait six months until the September wave.

The fact that I will only be 17 when I start uni (if I don't take a gap year) will be an issue. This is because I have heard that many medical schools don't accept people under 18; also, it would kind of suck being unable to go out with my friends! I am therefore currently deciding whether or not to take a gap year.

I therefore wanted to ask, does anybody know if any medical universities in the UK do take students at 17? Or would a gap year be a better idea? Also, if I took a gap year, would it be better to apply for deferred entry this year and, if I get rejected, try again post A-levels, or just to leave it for this year and try for the first and only time post A-levels?

Thank you to anyone who can help!
There's only 4 med schools in the UK that accept students who are under 18 - I know Belfast and Dundee are 2 of them off the top of my head (I knew someone applying while 17 too) but this would severely restrict your choices and you would have to be a stellar student all over - honestly, I'm not sure what you'd do on a gap year tho since you won't be 18 yet but a gap year is the best option

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Pretty sure you have to take a gap year. I think some med schools accept 17 year olds, but they must turn 18 relatively soon I think, whichever you won't given your birthday. It's unfortunate if you wanted to go straight into university but it's a small price to pay for such a rewarding career
Maybe deferred entry would be an option?
If you end up having to take a gap year, don't be put off by the idea. I am on gap year and it has honestly been one of the most enriching opportunities because I got a job as an intern nursing assistant in the hospital and am learning so much valuable stuff that I couldn't have anywhere else before applying to med school. I'm applying for 2017 entry and feeling much more confident about my application than last year. make sure you spend your gap year productively :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending