Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tips for driving test? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking my 1st attempt at my driving test on Tuesday and I was wondering if there is anything you would recommend focusing on doing (or not doing), any tips, etc... from when you took your tests.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sint)
    I'm taking my 1st attempt at my driving test on Tuesday and I was wondering if there is anything you would recommend focusing on doing (or not doing), any tips, etc... from when you took your tests.
    Concentrate on speed limits but the biggest thing to do is relax, definitely the biggest factor in what I have seen people that dont relax usually fail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sint)
    Definitely try and relax. I was very tense on mine which caused me to do things I wouldn't otherwise do, which led to a fail.
    An hour lesson before the test is always helpful to go over anything you're not completely confident with.
    If you think you did something that caused you to fail, try and put it to the back of your mind. The examiner may not have even noticed or may have marked it down as a minor. With your manouvre, take your time. The most important thing is not doing it in as few turns as possible, but ensuring you are safe and going at a very slow speed, constantly observing your surroundings and being sure not to finish or get too close to a parked car.
    If you're ever unsure of what to do or what other drivers are going to do, (which is common at roundabouts) slow right down or stop if you need to. Better to get a minor for hesitation than a serious for going when you shouldn't have.
    All in all, just drive as you normally would and I'm sure you'll pass.
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sint)
    I would highly recommend trying to squeeze in an extra one hour driving lesson right before your test if you can, to help you get settled in and allow time to practice any particularly tricky junctions, manoeuvres etc, plus go over the show me tell me questions again.

During the test, try not to panic if you make a mistake, as the examiner may not consider it to be serious, even though it might feel that way. Instead of dwelling on whatever went wrong, focus on getting the next part of the test right. Also, try not to get distracted/disheartened by the examiner when they write things down, sigh or even shake their head (like mine did!), as none of these things mean you've failed (I passed first time).

Like cherryred90s said, just drive like you normally do in lessons, and you'll be fine! Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys! Also I wanted to check - do they still do show me/tell me questions, like how to check the oil level, and is it a fail if you can't do these?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sint)
    Thanks guys! Also I wanted to check - do they still do show me/tell me questions, like how to check the oil level, and is it a fail if you can't do these?
    Yes, you'll be asked two questions: 1 show me & 1 tell me. I was slightly worried about them but they're really nothing to worry about.
    If you get one or both questions wrong, you'll get a minor

ReputationRep:
    Don't crash

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sint)
    Yes, you'll get 2 questions, 1 show me and 1 tell me. If you fail one or both then you'll only get a minor, so you'll still be able to carry on with your test

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.