Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I've got a bit of dilemma. I received offers to study medicine from Imperial College London and Exeter last week. Obviously I'm over the moon with the offers, but I'm not sure which one I would want to put as my firm. They've both set the same grade requirements, so it has to be one or t'other.

Imperial College London I guess has a stronger reputation, although I'm not sure how relevant that is for people studying medicine. I like the idea of being in a big city, and I imagine the size of the Imperial Health trust has advantages when doing placements and intercalating. I'm somewhat concerned about how expensive living in London is though, and also what the social life is like at Imperial. You hear people saying that it's a bit dead, especially given how many more guys there are.

Exeter seemed a really great place, and I could imagine enjoying studying there for 5/6 years, but I guess I've got slightly more academic concerns. I'd like to intercalate ideally, and it seemed like there were less options to do so at Exeter. Also, does the lack of dissection hurt anatomical knowledge? I don't know if I'd want to go down the surgical route or not, but if I were to do so would I be putting myself at a disadvantage compared to studying at Imperial?

So yeah, I'm not really sure which way to go. If anyone had any advice, anecdotes or experience at either uni that could help, it'd be much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke Kostanjsek)
    So I've got a bit of dilemma. I received offers to study medicine from Imperial College London and Exeter last week. Obviously I'm over the moon with the offers, but I'm not sure which one I would want to put as my firm. They've both set the same grade requirements, so it has to be one or t'other.

Imperial College London I guess has a stronger reputation, although I'm not sure how relevant that is for people studying medicine. I like the idea of being in a big city, and I imagine the size of the Imperial Health trust has advantages when doing placements and intercalating. I'm somewhat concerned about how expensive living in London is though, and also what the social life is like at Imperial. You hear people saying that it's a bit dead, especially given how many more guys there are.

Exeter seemed a really great place, and I could imagine enjoying studying there for 5/6 years, but I guess I've got slightly more academic concerns. I'd like to intercalate ideally, and it seemed like there were less options to do so at Exeter. Also, does the lack of dissection hurt anatomical knowledge? I don't know if I'd want to go down the surgical route or not, but if I were to do so would I be putting myself at a disadvantage compared to studying at Imperial?

So yeah, I'm not really sure which way to go. If anyone had any advice, anecdotes or experience at either uni that could help, it'd be much appreciated!
    I don't study Medicine but I am at Imperial but Medics are probably the most social group at Imperial at least in the earlier years because you have less workload in the beginning compared to other subjects and Medicine has a 1:1 male:female ratio so for social life there's no problem. Medics also have their own bar called Reynolds.

It is not as bad as people make it out to be for cost of living. First of all, Imperial has a bursary that grants you between 2k and 5k for home students whose household income is <60k; this makes a difference, obviously. As the name suggests, you don't have to pay it back and it is purely means-tested and as long as you fit the criterion for household income, you will receive money in fixed monthly payments. Second of all, you get higher maintenance loan for living in London. London's great.

ReputationRep:

Imperial is a truly world-class University.

Whatever decision you make will depend on whether you want to live in London or not, but personally Imperial trumps Exeter.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Moved to the Medicine forum.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

Honestly all medicine courses are accredited in the same way so you want be at a disadvantage professionally if you go to Exeter instead of Imperial to become a doctor.

In terms of the courses, I cannot offer a lot of insightful opinions other than choose the one that is the best fit for you. After all you are in university to get an education and the course matters the most.

However, if I remember correctly, Exeter does offer an extensive number of intercalated degrees to choose from. And even if the course is not explicitly offered in Exeter, the Flexible Combined Honours Programme allows students to combine a wider variety of courses together (e.g. an intercalated degree in Biosciences and Music)

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.