Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been flagged by my college as a potential for Oxford and I was really keen about it at first and it quickly became one of my big goals. I did lots of research and got very excited, but now I'm starting to think that it isn't for me.

I've been told by a lot of people that those at Oxford are not very accepting people and this is really important to me (I'm a bi trans man and I've been informed by some people that the hostility will chase me out). I've also heard nightmares about pastoral care and mental health stuff (not a huge issue to me but still a small concern) as well as the general atmosphere being very negative and high stress.

Is this true? Should I try anyway? I feel like I'll be sad if I don't try, but I really don't want to get an offer and then regret going or fall short of entry requirements or miss out on an unconditional. (Note that my aims for a level range from A*AA to ABB depending on how confident I feel, and my prospective course is History, regardless of where I choose to apply)

ReputationRep:
    I've been told by a lot of people that those at Oxford are not very accepting people and this is really important to me (I'm a bi trans man and I've been informed by some people that the hostility will chase me out).
    ffs there are 11,000+ undergrads at Oxford. There are definitely some not very accepting people at Oxford. There are people who are not accepting of guys who wear red pants, of people from (insert any random place), of people with (any random) accent, and so on. That is pretty much true of every single square inch of the planet. But, as in *most* universities, *most* students aren't bothered by anybody else's backstory or domestic life, as long as you aren't being a *#)*) about it.

I've also heard nightmares about pastoral care and mental health stuff (not a huge issue to me but still a small concern)
    This is more of an issue, b/c 1) there are variations by college, 2) unis are not mental health centers, and are not all that used to the idea that they need to do more than make sure that most students come out the other side alive so they are still learning and 3) students are increasingly expecting more intensive and sophisticated 'pastoral' care. If you think that you will likely need a lot of support you may want to think through how you would get it. Be aware that Oxford's preferred method of dealing with challenging mental health issues is rustication (ie, go home and let your family help you sort it out).

general atmosphere being very negative and high stress.
    Yes and no. There are people who can be very negative, but most people really like their course (most of the time anyway). The stress is real: you won't believe that you can read that much, think that much and write that much in 8 weeks. BUT: if you love reading history and talking about it, it is the ne plus ultra. Some tutors are disappointing, but most are not- and when you find yourself in a tutorial with the person whose books you read before you ever came up just because you were interested it is extremely cool. It is very much the best and worst of times.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.