The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Difference in fees for Overseas students

Hi, guys!
I've just finished my master's thesis in Glasgow Uni and currently looking for a PhD in UK.
Since I'm an international student, almost all the programs require from me to cover the difference between UK/EU and Overseas fees.
Do you know any funding organisations I can ask this money from?
Thank you a lot.
P.S.: I'm really desperate - what I've learned so far is that we have here a vicious circle: funding guys want an acceptance letter first, and the same want PhD admission teams.
My country has no opportunities to supply me with a grant - we are at the state of war now.
Go to your home country. Quit milking UK systems!
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
Reply 2
Hoh well, there is no research in my country.
There are a small number of PhD programs which will offer full funding to internationals, although they are competitive. There are also scholarships awarded by universities themselves which accomplish the same thing however they are just as competitive.
Original post by Kseno
Hoh well, there is no research in my country.

None....??? You from Tuvalu or something????
Reply 5
Original post by Tree Bound.
None....??? You from Tuvalu or something????

Ukraine. War with Russians sucks all the money from the science to the army and related, cutting the financing/grants/paid days for researchers (whose salary was already lower than the lowest price for the rent).
Not mentioning that we are for 50 years behind Europe and the UK in the level and quality of equipment...
Reply 6
Go to your home country. Quit milking UK systems!

It is actually quite nice for the UK, considering the overseas fees often crosses 30 000 pounds a year, which is money from an outside economy pouring into the English economy. And quite frankly, most students remain in the UK after their education, not only moving money to England through paying fees, but also using their labour in English highly qualified jobs.
Original post by m1m2
It is actually quite nice for the UK, considering the overseas fees often crosses 30 000 pounds a year, which is money from an outside economy pouring into the English economy. And quite frankly, most students remain in the UK after their education, not only moving money to England through paying fees, but also using their labour in English highly qualified jobs.

Stealing our jobs too? How nice.
Original post by Kseno
Ukraine. War with Russians sucks all the money from the science to the army and related, cutting the financing/grants/paid days for researchers (whose salary was already lower than the lowest price for the rent).
Not mentioning that we are for 50 years behind Europe and the UK in the level and quality of equipment...

Ukraine is not at war with Russia....
Reply 9

They are talking about fees of uni courses, not jobs.
Just stop.
Reply 10
Indeed. And with whom then do we have battles in the East regions, and who have taken Crimea?
Reply 11

Your unemployment rate has never been lower - and especially within higher education, where higher educated people have higher employment rates, with a greater proportion in high-skilled employment, lower unemployment rates, lower inactivity rates and higher median salaries than non-graduates. Higher educated jobs are not severely faced by unemployment, and there are not jobs being stolen or taken from brits. Rather than educating themselves within your country and leaving, forcing the country into loss of highly educated competence, they pay back to society - without harming anyone.
Reply 12
Original post by Helloworld_95
There are a small number of PhD programs which will offer full funding to internationals, although they are competitive. There are also scholarships awarded by universities themselves which accomplish the same thing however they are just as competitive.

That's true. I found one which covers EU/UK fees, however, I am required to cover the difference. This is why I am asking here - I have found no scholarships at the uni's site that fit me.
Original post by Kseno
That's true. I found one which covers EU/UK fees, however, I am required to cover the difference. This is why I am asking here - I have found no scholarships at the uni's site that fit me.

Might be worth looking at other uni's then
Reply 14
Original post by Helloworld_95
Might be worth looking at other uni's then

Just was wondering:
is it possible to work part-time to cover these fees while studying a PhD?
Original post by Kseno
Just was wondering:
is it possible to work part-time to cover these fees while studying a PhD?

Maybe if you got a job at the uni as a Teaching Assistant or Research Assistant, or did your PhD part time too. Otherwise it wouldn't be recommended.

Quick Reply

Latest