Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm not doing so well at the moment with a bit of a cocktail of mh issues, learning difficulties and physical conditions. I'm trying to get myself to a point where i'm capable of working at least part time, but I know it's going to take a good while before I get there. I'm out of uni and living at home with my parents, but it's not good for my mental health so I want to ba able to move out with my bf and be in a better situation to focus on my health. Problem is if I do that I will need some income. My bf is earning and can just about manage to support us, but I would need to contribute something.

Anyway, I believe that's where ESA might come in. I'm not sure how I would go about it though or if it would be worth me trying. Has anybody gone through the process who might be able to give me some advice?

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    No harm in looking into it. Once you're awarded esa you're allowed to do permitted work (part time work) but your bfs income would be taken into account so you may be entitled to esa but not given any money. Apply for PIP as that doesn't go on your income it also means you could apply for severe disability and then you wouldn't have to pay towards council tax (depending on your area). When I lived alone I got top rate esa, severe disability premiums and higher rate daily living and mobility components for PIP. When I moved in with partner I lost the monetary element of esa but still classed as being on it

ReputationRep:
    My advice would be to contact an org like citizens advice or framework and have them support you through the application

You can get helpful advice on how to legally finance your studies as a disabled person in receipt of ESA by contacting:

1. the student disability (uk) helpline
    https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org

2. by posting on a forum for disabled people at ouchtoo.org

Good luck! it's worth doing don't give up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm not doing so well at the moment with a bit of a cocktail of mh issues, learning difficulties and physical conditions. I'm trying to get myself to a point where i'm capable of working at least part time, but I know it's going to take a good while before I get there. I'm out of uni and living at home with my parents, but it's not good for my mental health so I want to ba able to move out with my bf and be in a better situation to focus on my health. Problem is if I do that I will need some income. My bf is earning and can just about manage to support us, but I would need to contribute something.

Anyway, I believe that's where ESA might come in. I'm not sure how I would go about it though or if it would be worth me trying. Has anybody gone through the process who might be able to give me some advice?

Thanks in advance.
    Id be warey of applying for ESA if you want to move in with your partner who works. My ex made a joint claim for ESA as we were living together, and me as the partner could only earn £20 a week anything over that they took off our ESA. I only worked 7 hours a week but earned about £50 a week so they took £30 a week (£120 a month) off our ESA entitlement.
    Its the *****est system ever

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by ~Tara~)
    No harm in looking into it. Once you're awarded esa you're allowed to do permitted work (part time work) but your bfs income would be taken into account so you may be entitled to esa but not given any money. Apply for PIP as that doesn't go on your income it also means you could apply for severe disability and then you wouldn't have to pay towards council tax (depending on your area). When I lived alone I got top rate esa, severe disability premiums and higher rate daily living and mobility components for PIP. When I moved in with partner I lost the monetary element of esa but still classed as being on it
    (Original post by ~Tara~)
    My advice would be to contact an org like citizens advice or framework and have them support you through the application
    How bad does a disability really need to be though? I mean I basically can't do the simple things an adult does like wash clothes, go out more than a couple of times a week (including food shopping) and stuff like that, but I don't know how much that would actually come across on paper. Apart from anything else I can push myself to do a bit more, but I know myself that that will lead into a mh relapse or physical exhaustion. It's not like I have missing limbs preventing me from doing stuff- it's almost self imposed.
    I guess that's where those orgs you mentioned come in though. I think that's what I need- somebody to guide me through the whole thing.

Btw do you know if you can still be counted as a dependant of somebody if you are receiving benefits? One of the only things keeping me going is the help I get through insurance and I loose that if I'm not a dependant of my parents. I don't want to loose that too early and end up relapsing without it.

Thanks so much for your advice. I'll look into the orgs you mentioned. I'm not sure how my family/ people I know would react to me claiming benefits though. I think I may end up not trying cos I'm too worried about people's thoughts on it.

(Original post by PandaWho)
    Id be warey of applying for ESA if you want to move in with your partner who works. My ex made a joint claim for ESA as we were living together, and me as the partner could only earn £20 a week anything over that they took off our ESA. I only worked 7 hours a week but earned about £50 a week so they took £30 a week (£120 a month) off our ESA entitlement.
    Its the *****est system ever

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is why I need the help. I have no idea about the benefits system or who can apply for what. Bf doesn't earn much so I guess it could still be worth looking into, especially at the moment while I can't work at all. Looks like PIP might be the best bet though. I just don't know if on paper my stuff sounds as bad as it feels. I guess if you never try you'll never know though.
    Thanks for explaining ESA a bit.

You can get helpful advice on how to legally finance your studies as a disabled person in receipt of ESA by contacting:

1. the student disability (uk) helpline
    https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org

2. by posting on a forum for disabled people at ouchtoo.org

Good luck! it's worth doing don't give up!
    Thanks. I'm not a student atm- dropped out. That was great advice though and I wish i'd known about it when I was at uni.

ReputationRep:
    This is why I need the help. I have no idea about the benefits system or who can apply for what. Bf doesn't earn much so I guess it could still be worth looking into, especially at the moment while I can't work at all. Looks like PIP might be the best bet though. I just don't know if on paper my stuff sounds as bad as it feels. I guess if you never try you'll never know though.
    Thanks for explaining ESA a bit.
    Its defgo worth applying for PIP at the end of the day what are you going to losebif they say no? Nothing.
    Id deffo speak to your boyfriend though as i found it so demoralising going to work for £20 a week. I wasnt working for the money i was doing it because i loved my job and the people i worked with and i miss it so much :sadpanda:
    But yeah dont apply for ESA unless you both agree on it. Whereas PIP is a single person benefit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by PandaWho)
    Its defgo worth applying for PIP at the end of the day what are you going to losebif they say no? Nothing.
    Id deffo speak to your boyfriend though as i found it so demoralising going to work for £20 a week. I wasnt working for the money i was doing it because i loved my job and the people i worked with and i miss it so much :sadpanda:
    But yeah dont apply for ESA unless you both agree on it. Whereas PIP is a single person benefit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks. I guess i'm just scared about making such a big decision, but you're right- there's nothing to loose. I think i'll keep ESA in mind in case we really need it, but it does sound like it could be more harm than good.

Btw, if it's the people and just being able to do something you liked and you still want to do something even if you can't work, you could look into volunteering. I used to love helping out at a Rainbows group once a week and really miss being able to do that. Gave life a bit of purpose y'know? Well anyway, if you're looking for a bit of that purpose too there's loads of things like Rainbows out there.

Thanks again for the advice.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I guess i'm just scared about making such a big decision, but you're right- there's nothing to loose. I think i'll keep ESA in mind in case we really need it, but it does sound like it could be more harm than good.

Btw, if it's the people and just being able to do something you liked and you still want to do something even if you can't work, you could look into volunteering. I used to love helping out at a Rainbows group once a week and really miss being able to do that. Gave life a bit of purpose y'know? Well anyway, if you're looking for a bit of that purpose too there's loads of things like Rainbows out there.

Thanks again for the advice.
    Yeah ESA is good for single people, but for a couple where the partner works more than a few hours a week its hard work.

Unfortunately i had to leave that job because my fiancee left me so i became homeless (couldnt afford the rent) so had to move back to my family 300 miles away. I have another good job now but its not my career job.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 11, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.