Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Vice Principal states institutionalised racism doesn't exist in their school district Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yudothis)
    Motivation matters.
    Indeed.

So, what was the motivation behind naming the team "Redskins",in your opinion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Votes to keep Redskins mascot.

http://woodtv.com/2017/02/08/paw-paw...scot-decision/

Isn't "redskins" offensive to Native Americans? Sad!
    Only if their told it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joe cooley)
    Indeed.

Most likely the same way other sports team may name themselves panthers or warriors - to appear fierce. The official story as an honor to the teams Native American coach and players, I don't believe it.

Then there is the more general use of the word red skin. Would you call a mostly black basketball team say Seattle Ni..ers? Probably not, even if you thought it was honoring them. So the question is, is redskin a bad word in itself? Probably not as much as ******, but there are certainly bad connotations to it, and that begs the question, why do you need to name yourself something that some people may find offensive? Tradition? Your "right" to offend?

But hey, I already know your response so I don't know why I even bothered writing something.

ReputationRep:
    Most likely the same way other sports team may name themselves panthers or warriors - to appear fierce. The official story as an honor to the teams Native American coach and players, I don't believe it.

Then there is the more general use of the word red skin. Would you call a mostly black basketball team say Seattle Ni..ers? Probably not, even if you thought it was honoring them. So the question is, is redskin a bad word in itself? Probably not as much as ******, but there are certainly bad connotations to it, and that begs the question, why do you need to name yourself something that some people may find offensive? Tradition? Your "right" to offend?

But hey, I already know your response so I don't know why I even bothered writing something.
    Well, i'll go with the 9 in 10 native Americans NOT offended by the name rather than a perpetually offended SJW.

Yeah you're right, i probably should vary the way i respond to empty vitrue signalling.

But contempt seems so apt.

ReputationRep:
    Well, i'll go with the 9 in 10 native Americans NOT offended by the name rather than a perpetually offended SJW.

Yeah you're right, i probably should vary the way i respond to empty vitrue signalling.

But contempt seems so apt.
    Yes, that is your perpetual state of mind.

So sad.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, that is your perpetual state of mind.

So sad.
    Indeed, you are.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed.

There were called the Redskins because they used to be called the Boston Braves before they groundshared with the Boston Redsox. Hence they adopted the name Redskins to keep the Indian analogy as at the time their coach was a native American (or possibly was pretending to be one) but to fit in with their new surroundings. Only later did they move to Washington.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Votes to keep Redskins mascot.

http://woodtv.com/2017/02/08/paw-paw...scot-decision/

Isn't "redskins" offensive to Native Americans? Sad!
    Misleading title is misleading.

This has nothing to do with institutionalised racism in schools

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Indeed, you are.
    Learn reading comprehension, yours is awful!

ReputationRep:
    Learn reading comprehension, yours is awful!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.