Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Aerospace or Electrical Eng with AS Level maths Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I'm in a bit of a predicament where many people have been except I'm have a few other problems as well.

Firstly why am I doing AS Level maths: well I'm failing very badly with my maths (even though I understand things), and get terrible grades in exams. Just my core maths is and absolute constant disaster. My physics maths is great, getting a constant average of 78% in my tests. The reason why my school hasn't kicked me out of maths all together is because I'm an Arkwright scholar, whose minimum requirements are that I do AS Level maths to keep the scholarship. Yes, an Arkwright Scholar.

I also got a C in English Lang and a B in Maths at GCSE, so that puts me out of even more courses, no Civil Eng at UCL.

GCSE Grades: A*, 5A, 4B, C
    A* Art
    A: Spanish, Italian, Russian, Physics, Chemistry
    B: English Lit, Biology, DT, Maths
    C: English Lit

I also have work experience this summer at Leonardo/Augusta Westland Helicopters

I would prefer to go straight to Uni (preferably in London as that is where I'm based, aiming for UCL, KCL and City). But if that isn't going to happen what should I do?
    • Alternative qualifications? (focusing on applied or engineering maths?
    • Take a foundation year?
    • Do an apprenticeship for a year?
    • Do A2 maths on my own?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Why is maths a disaster? Is there anything specific you can put your finger on that you can then work on? Can the GCSEs be retaken to improve the grades? I'm not sure about alternative qualifications as this isn't my areas of expertise but the other 3 options sound viable. You just have to do some research around what you can do and how unis/employers will view it. I'm going to see if we can move this to careers to see if you get better responses there.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.