Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I was thinking of just using one large textbook as my source for this presentation, because most of the studies that are freely available are filled with obvious errors. Do you think this is acceptable or does it reduce my chances of getting a 1st in this module? Obviously I'll be using different parts of it.

ReputationRep:
    You would be seriously hindering your chances of a good grade by doing this. Wide reading is absolutely expected at University and as part of this you should be referencing multiple journal articles, books etc.

By referencing one source, it shows very little understanding of a topic and you may also get in danger of just paraphrasing everything (plagiarism)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kg00105)
    You would be seriously hindering your chances of a good grade by doing this. Wide reading is absolutely expected at University and as part of this you should be referencing multiple journal articles, books etc.

By referencing one source, it shows very little understanding of a topic and you may also get in danger of just paraphrasing everything (plagiarism)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do they expect me to pay to access quality studies? This book cost me £50 and is huge, it cites 100's maybe even 1000's of other studies. I don't see how it would be an issue but obviously I'm unsure as I'm making this thread. The grading specifies that they need us to use "authoritative texts" and afaik I can only access those by signing up to these journal websites. The book has everything that I need.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by RV91)
    Do they expect me to pay to access quality studies? This book cost me £50 and is huge, it cites 100's maybe even 1000's of other studies. I don't see how it would be an issue but obviously I'm unsure as I'm making this thread. The grading specifies that they need us to use "authoritative texts" and afaik I can only access those by signing up to these journal websites. The book has everything that I need.
    Or use the library?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RV91)
    Most universities allow their students access to papers online via an institutional log in. I'd be highly surprised if yours didn't.

And yeah...don't just use one source.

If I used just one source in any of my work, regardless of the quality of the work I'd be lucky to get a 2:1, let alone a 1st.

ReputationRep:
    Source the textbooks sources? Say if you are presenting data or studies used in the book, source that data/those studies instead of the textbook. Easily adds tens more sources!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RV91)
    The studies referenced in your book may be enough but you will be expected to put in the effort to check out the legitimacy of these studies, even if that means just reading the Abstarct paragraph (in most instances this can be read for free) and being able to cite it's full sourse and where you found it. Honestly, it's incredibly unlikely that you will get a 1st by doing that, I would count myself lucky if my tutors gave me a 2:1 for referencing one book alone.

It would be worth talking to a member of staff at your uni library about access to studies and research papers online. I would be very surprised if your uni doesn't offer you the chance to access at least a good range of these for free. For example, I am able to access jstor online which allows me access to a huge range of studies and research papers.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.