Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

US appeals court upholds suspension of President Donald Trump's travel ban Watch

• Very Important Poster

So he lost at the appeals court.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38927175

In its 3-0 unanimous ruling on Thursday, the appeals court said the government had not proved the terror threat justified reviving the ban.
    The ruling means that people from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen with visas can continue to enter the US, and refugees from around the world, who were also subject to a temporary ban, are no longer blocked either.
    However, the ruling does not affect one part of Mr Trump's controversial executive order: a cap of 50,000 refugees to be admitted in the current fiscal year, down from the ceiling of 110,000 established under his predecessor, Barack Obama.

http://news.sky.com/story/president-...l-ban-10761899

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...209-story.html

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-...017-story.html

Decision
    https://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datasto...9/17-35105.pdf

I hope he just lays off the judges and looks at their decision. Is it Supreme Court now? he could have avoided all this if he had taken property legal advice and not rushed into it.

ReputationRep:
    Since when did banning a country=banning a religion?
    That is what the argument boils down to
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    Since when did Liberals care?

ReputationRep:

Sit down Donald.

ReputationRep:
    People are not anti-Trump.

They just want a reason to shout and riot and protest.

I now just realise this.
    • Very Important Poster

Have you read the judgment?

Even from the article it says

In their judgment, they said the US Justice Department had not offered "any evidence" of national security concerns which had justified banning migrants, visitors and refugees from seven Muslim-majority countries.
    The judges concluded that the government had provided no evidence that any citizen from Iraq, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Yemen and Syria had perpetrated an attack on American soil, as well as no evidence which explained the urgent need for his executive order to take effect immediately.

So it looks like they weighed it up and were not convinced there was a sufficient risk v the chaos immediate implementation brought. It doesnt say he cant ban them. Will update the link to the judgment for you to analyse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Have you read the judgment?

Even from the article it says

So it looks like they weighed it up and were not convinced there was a sufficient risk v the chaos immediate implementation brought. It doesnt say he cant ban them. Will update the link to the judgment for you to analyse.
    I haven't read it yet no but I believe that is what the arguments earlier were about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Therec00)
    People are not anti-Trump.

They just want a reason to shout and riot and protest.

I now just realise this.
    Is that why Trump has lowest approval ratings of any President in US history?

Apart from the "angry white men", not many people really like Trump.

ReputationRep:
    He doesn't care, he just wanted to make history, even if it's for something "bad" that doesn't last long

In that way he has succeeded, and the fight isn't over, he just got inaugurated not even a month ago...

I personally couldn't care less what happens though, I'm just sitting back with popcorn

ReputationRep:
    I love how Trump tweeted "See you in court"... you're already in court mate.
    • Very Important Poster

I haven't read it yet no but I believe that is what the arguments earlier were about
    Not quite. there are specific legal arguments to do with the constitution. The LA Times link goes into more detail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AishaGirl)
    I love how Trump tweeted "See you in court"... you're already in court mate.
    I'm waiting for the day when Donald Trump literally gets into an hour or 2 hour long twitter war while some major event is unfolding and he was too distracted by twitter to deal with it.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't read it yet
    Yeah you pretty much summed up every ****ing trump supporter and conservative here.

Dont make dumb comments before you didnt even look up the facts.

ReputationRep:
    Not quite. there are specific legal arguments to do with the constitution. The LA Times link goes into more detail.
    Do you have a link to the ruling itself?

From what I have read apparently they aren't convinced that there is a security threat so what has changed in the past year when obama said these countries were a threat despite a recent attack on us soil from a Somalia

Even CNN has had a piece on why the courts should of overturned the tro http://edition.cnn.com/2017/02/07/op...enany-opinion/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilchano79)
    Yeah you pretty much summed up every ****ing trump supporter and conservative here.

Dont make dumb comments before you didnt even look up the facts.
    I've read some articles but haven't found a link to the judgement, you do know the courts aren't always right and that the court in question is the most overturned in the USA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blah3210)
    Is that why Trump has lowest approval ratings of any President in US history?

Apart from the "angry white men", not many people really like Trump.
    it's fashionable to hate Trump

That's all it is.
    • Very Important Poster

Do you have a link to the ruling itself?

From what I have read apparently they aren't convinced that there is a security threat so what has changed in the past year when obama said these countries were a threat despite a recent attack on us soil from a Somalia

Even CNN has had a piece on why the courts should of overturned the tro http://edition.cnn.com/2017/02/07/op...enany-opinion/
    Yes its just been published linked above. Looks like they presented a poor case and the two states made theirs.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Not gonna pass the Supreme Court now. At best he can hope for a 4-4 split in which case they'll uphold the decision once more.

ReputationRep:
    Yes its just been published linked above. Looks like they presented a poor case and the two states made theirs.
    I've found one and I am part way through, I do think that what trump has done is legal and constitutional but it feels like they were wanting to fail in this appeal or the government needs a new lawyer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrDystopia)
    Not gonna pass the Supreme Court now. At best he can hope for a 4-4 split in which case they'll uphold the decision once more.
    Imagine a Supreme Court based on law not party politics

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 10, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.