Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can I get more student finance in second year than in first?? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have really struggled this year with my maintenance loan as it all goes on rent so I see none of it. I have to work on the weekends and a few days throughout the week - which is fine - but still a pain to juggle that and my studies also i still struggle with money regardless. Before people comment, I do not want to take money off my parents, for various reasons which I won't go into.

Anyway - I heard once that when you reapply for student finance in second year, you can say that you have lived on your own for a year and that can potentially get you a bigger loan? Is this true? Or is there some hack by saying that you haven't lived with your parents for a year that you can get more of a loan?

Hope someone can help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tigerlilylife)
    I have really struggled this year with my maintenance loan as it all goes on rent so I see none of it. I have to work on the weekends and a few days throughout the week - which is fine - but still a pain to juggle that and my studies also i still struggle with money regardless. Before people comment, I do not want to take money off my parents, for various reasons which I won't go into.

Anyway - I heard once that when you reapply for student finance in second year, you can say that you have lived on your own for a year and that can potentially get you a bigger loan? Is this true? Or is there some hack by saying that you haven't lived with your parents for a year that you can get more of a loan?

Hope someone can help!
    You need to prove with payslips that you have supported yourself for three years after moving out from your parents' address without their help, not one. You'd then be assessed as an independent student. This doesn't apply to you unfortunately.

http://standalone.org.uk/guides/stud...elf-supporting

ReputationRep:
    No.. Because you haven't financially supported yourself.. Student finance gave you money.. Which i assume went of your parents income?

They won't give you a bigger loan (And trust me im speaking from experience) it's just part of student life having to work alongside the degree.

You also get less loan in 3rd year...so prepare for that as well =P
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    The 3 years have to be before you start your first year of uni. Not part way through uni.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

It sounds like you're interested in trying to obtain independent status to be assessed on your own income rather than your parents,

1. There are a few ways to qualify for this, if you're over 25 when you commence the Academic Year I believe you'd be considered independent automatically, however, I'm guessing this isn't applicable to yourself?

2. You can prove that you lived away from your parents and financially supported yourself for 3 years before commencing your course. They'd ask to see things like payslips and possibly information regarding liability for bills etc for your own accommodation.

3. You can obtain independent status if you can prove (again this is determined on a discretionary basis) that you are estranged from your parents/family and receive no support from them and this is unlikely to be reconciled. This is very discretionary and would require you to put an application together with supporting statements outlining the situation, how long it has gone on for etc. If you still have a relationship with your parents, are on good terms with them, they provide you any financial support or you return home with them for vacation periods then this is not appropriate for you.

If none of the above sound right to you then we'd probably need to know a little more about your parents circumstances in order to advise on your alternative options. Were you income assessed this year? I.e. did your parents send off information regarding their finances or did you just take the basic rate loan without supplying this info? Have their finances decreased at all in the last two years? Depending on your answers you may be able to access more funding through a Current Year Income Assessment.

If it's that your parents refuse to help you or they are unable to due to their own financial commitments (but this doesn't impact their Household Income) then your answer might not be with SFE. Instead, you may wish to consider speaking to the Financial Support Team within your University to find out if they have any hardship funding available. If a student has exhausted all other avenues of viable funding then a University may be able to provide discretionary hardship funding if the student is assessed to be eligible - this varies from University to University so the best thing to do is to contact them directly.

However, if it is just that you don't wish to take money from your parents on principle, but they are willing or able to support you further, then the University will likely refuse an application as hardship funding is not to replace money you don't WANT to take. Without knowing more about why you don't want to take money from your parents I can't advise further unfortunately, but I do hope this helps you.

Best of luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.