Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you ever truly get over your first love? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, my first post on here.

Anyway me & my girlfriend of 3 years broke up 3 or 4 months back (her choice).

Now I'd been with a few girls before her but never in a serious relationship and she was the only girl I've loved.

I was pretty upset for a few weeks but have dealt with it pretty well and have been back to myself and enjoying life for the past two months.

Only thing is not a day goes by where I don't think of her or get memories pop up in my head, this happens quite a lot throughout the day. I don't really miss her anymore and don't want to be back with her but why can't I forget her? Will it take a long time? Or until I meet someone else. Has anyone else had the same where they just can't stop thinking about an ex?
    • Political Ambassador

I don't really miss her anymore and don't want to be back with her but why can't I forget her?
    She'll never be completely out of your mind because she was the first person you ever fell in love with. Even when you're completely over them, you'll always find yourself thinking about the first love once in a while. We're only humans.

Will it take a long time? Or until I meet someone else.
    You'll detach yourself more and more from her memory, especially when you experience another love. And you will fall in love again, but of course it won't be the same, doesn't mean it won't be as great or even better though.

Has anyone else had the same where they just can't stop thinking about an ex?
    When you're out of a relationship, it feels like you lost parts of yourself because you offered that person an insight into your soul, your dreams, your life. Your partner was also an important aspect of your routine so it's difficult to adapt and just forget about them once you're single.

You can't simply throw away 3 years of your life, they meant a lot to you and you went through a lot together. Give yourself some time.

ReputationRep:
    Yes you will, definitely. What seems massive now really won't matter in the future

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 10, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.