Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm still unsure on which unis I should apply for film production next year.. The ones I like the most from what I've read are:

Manchester Met -- the filmmaking BA seems quite practical and from what I've heard it has good connections to the industry. Also it's quite a big city which is a huge plus

Bristol uni -- they have a film and television BA but I'm not really sure of their connections to the industry..

Leeds becket -- filmmaking BA is also interesting, and again I love big cities, I would go to london if I had the money

And then I've heard about the Univeristy of West England, but I don't know much about the course and the uni

and obviously AUB, UCLAN, Sheffield Hallam, Brighton, Herts, York St John, Gloucestershire, etc.. but their location kind of dissapoints me and makes me lean towards those I've mentioned before..

I want to become a film director, but I think I'll probably start out in TV or small productions until I get there!

Any info and help on the unis I've mentioned?

Thanks
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariapcosta)
    Hi,
    I'm still unsure on which unis I should apply for film production next year.. The ones I like the most from what I've read are:

Manchester Met -- the filmmaking BA seems quite practical and from what I've heard it has good connections to the industry. Also it's quite a big city which is a huge plus

Bristol uni -- they have a film and television BA but I'm not really sure of their connections to the industry..

Leeds becket -- filmmaking BA is also interesting, and again I love big cities, I would go to london if I had the money

And then I've heard about the Univeristy of West England, but I don't know much about the course and the uni

and obviously AUB, UCLAN, Sheffield Hallam, Brighton, Herts, York St John, Gloucestershire, etc.. but their location kind of dissapoints me and makes me lean towards those I've mentioned before..

I want to become a film director, but I think I'll probably start out in TV or small productions until I get there!

Thanks
    If you're looking for connections to industry then start with the Creative Skillset list of accredited courses: http://creativeskillset.org/search/3...=Undergraduate

Herts, Edinburgh, Bradford, Westminster, UWE, Met, Teesside would be worth a look from the list that meet your desire for a big city.

http://www.salford.ac.uk/ug-courses/film-studies also has good links (but the film degree is more theory than practical - the TV and Radio degree is more practical if that's what you're looking for).
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Thanks
    Hi mariapcosta,

Have you heard of Ravensbourne before? We're based in London and we offer a BA (hons) Digital Film Production course here with a quite a heavy focus on the industry.

We offer industry networking opportunities, work experience opportunities, industry collaborations and access to loan equipment from our own bank of resources which include Arri Alexas, lighting and much more equipment.

You can find out more information about our film production course >here<

If you are interested you could also book a ticket to come along to one of our open days >here< to check out the place for yourself and ask any questions you might have

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask us

Jordan

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Thanks
    Hi there,

I studied Television Production at The University of Gloucestershire and have had some incredible placements and jobs because of the course. I worked as the Judge's Assistant on The X Factor, and finished working as a researcher for BBC documentaries. My friend who does the Film production course has just been asked to work on Fantastic Beasts. These are very typical stories from our University because the placements and industry ties are so good, they even won an award recently because of these ties. For me getting a great career was a number one priority when choosing between universities. But you have to decide on your own criteria, some people want to live in a small town and others love city life. Cheltenham and Gloucestershire are a happy medium. There is a festival near enough every other week here which is great for an upbeat social life and celeb spotting. It's also pretty easy to get part time work here because of all the clubs, bars, pubs, restaurants and shops.

The best way to pick a University is just by going to an open day. You can't really get a feel for a media course just by reading about it. Go and see facilities, ask about industry links and see if you can picture yourself studying there.

Hope that helps,
    Jack

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.