Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why aren't you Vegan? Watch

• View Poll Results: Why aren't you Vegan?
    I am.
    16.16%
    Because I don't care about animals.
    10.48%
    Because I like meat.
    65.50%
    Because I like dairy products.
    48.91%
    Because I don't want to plan my diet.
    22.71%
    Because I don't know enough about nutrition.
    6.99%
    Because I hate eating vegetables.
    10.48%

ReputationRep:
    Just thought I'd raise this point. Vegans like to go on about how badly we treat animals (and they kinda have a point) but it's also worth noting that thanks to us, the humble chicken is the most successful bird species on earth. It's a similar story with cows, sheep, pigs etc.

ReputationRep:
    "I only supplement B12"

This, you've proved in your OP that it isn't a proper diet. If it was a natural way for humans to live you wouldn't need supplements.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I was brought up pescetarian by my parents. I gave up fish 3 years ago after staring in my pond and seeing my fish swim about. Fish feel pain too, so that gave me the initiative to give it up.

I went vegan (a few months ago) for about 3 weeks. It was fine, though I missed having pizza a little. I am currently vegetarian because it's pretty hard to stay vegan in my household. Going full-vegan is something I plan to do when I go to university. And yeah, it's all for moral reasons, rather than dietary.

ReputationRep:
    I think I would struggle as a chronically ill person to retain even the little bit of health I'm clinging to if I gave up diary and eggs. I'm a vegetarian and I'm trying to reduce diary and only buy free range eggs and try to have at least one vegan meal a day wherever possible, but I need to think of my health as well.

ReputationRep:
    Bacon is rather lovely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    "I only supplement B12"

This, you've proved in your OP that it isn't a proper diet. If it was a natural way for humans to live you wouldn't need supplements.
    B12is only found naturally in unwashed vegetables and from the dirt, both unviable ways to get it in the modern day.

B12 is supplemented to animals so that its in the meat that you eat. Otherwise, you too would also need to supplement it.

ReputationRep:
    Because I don't lack chromosomes.

ReputationRep:
    I like fish too much.

ReputationRep:
    Too much hassle
    A lot of effort
    Too many problems to juggle trying to eat a vegan diet and meeting all my dietary requirements
    I like too many different foods to be satisfied being completely vegan
    Time constraints
    Juggling other people's opinions/views/judgement of you

ReputationRep:
    As someone who goes to the gym a lot and wants to have good muscle growth and repair, fresh chicken is a great source of protein and so does the job well.

I understand there are lots of protein in non-meat products however I like to eat the traditional meat and veg diet as it has protein, fats, carbs, sugars and lots of vitamins.

My diet is simple, I am healthy and eating meat is all part of the ecosystem.

(I have a lot of respect for vegans however its my choice and I'm happy with what I eat).

ReputationRep:
    I like meat/dairy and I'm way too lazy to put the effort into ensuring my meals are meat free.

ReputationRep:
    Partly, because I enjoy eating meat. The Vegan diet is too pricey and way too complicated, so for most people it's not really practical. Plus in the UK there isn't as much demand for Vegan products. That being said, I try to limit my meat consumption and try to eat more vegetarian food as too much meat is not good for you.

ReputationRep:
    I went vegan about a year ago after being brought up on meat.
    I did it because it suits me personally and I completely understand how some people are not compatible with the vegan diet. It's all about what suits YOU not what suits everyone else. Everyone is entitled to their own diet

ReputationRep:
    Because I want to have a healthy diet with meals that I can look forward to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RV91)
    you don't need to eat meat

you can do it bro

save the animals
    Animals are gonna die anyway, it's natural for us to eat meat

ReputationRep:
    Meat is life.

ReputationRep:
    i eat a mixture of vegan food and meat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RV91)
    If you're Vegan, what do you eat?
    I've been vegan for 14 years now and eat too much. It's too easy nowadays to find good vegan food everywhere and if you cook from scratch it's cheaper.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Always telling to read insincere dismissals of veganism from people wanting to avoid feeling morally uncomfortable.

The fact that it's morally superior to abstain from causing unnecessary suffering in animals is undeniable. That arguments usually centre around that it's natural to do as one pleases is indicative of people failing to honestly hold themselves to account.

Veganism does demand a certain amount of effort, but if a person's self-control and moral integrity are enough to offset that, then they will amend their diet. In other words, avoiding a fair consideration of the issue and failing to adopt an ethical diet is weakness of character.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    In other words, avoiding a fair consideration of the issue and failing to adopt an ethical diet, is weakness of character.
    Not eating tasty meat because of muh moral & ethical implications is more indicative of weakness of character.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.