Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why aren't you Vegan? Watch

• View Poll Results: Why aren't you Vegan?
    I am.
    16.16%
    Because I don't care about animals.
    10.48%
    Because I like meat.
    65.50%
    Because I like dairy products.
    48.91%
    Because I don't want to plan my diet.
    22.71%
    Because I don't know enough about nutrition.
    6.99%
    Because I hate eating vegetables.
    10.48%

ReputationRep:
    Are there any Muslims that are vegan through choice rather than as a result of a medical condition?

I'm unsure if a Muslim can go vegan due to references made to meat, fish, milk, and honey in the Qu'ran.

ReputationRep:
    Because I don't have to
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Because of the amount of effort involved.

But I plan to eventually become vegan.

ReputationRep:
    Because I neither need nor want to be. I see absolutely no reason to turn vegan.

ReputationRep:
    I've definitely considered vegetarianism, I think veganism is too far though. That being said I have respect for people who are vegan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stewart Dent)
    I've definitely considered vegetarianism, I think veganism is too far though. That being said I have respect for people who are vegan.
    May I ask why you think it's too far? Don't want to argue about it but I'd like to hear your point of view

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myblueheaven339)
    May I ask why you think it's too far? Don't want to argue about it but I'd like to hear your point of view

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't see what the harm in eating animal products is, I mean, it doesn't hurt the chickens to lay eggs or the cows to make milk. Also, if you're vegan what do you put in sandwiches?
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    I don't see what the harm in eating animal products is, I mean, it doesn't hurt the chickens to lay eggs or the cows to make milk. Also, if you're vegan what do you put in sandwiches?
    The primary reason for opposing these products is that it's exploitative and harmful to the animals to industrialise the practice, in the same way it is to raise them for meat. Chickens are crammed into barns to lay eggs, cows are restrained in order to obtain milk, male calves are disposed of raised for veal, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    The primary reason for opposing these products is that it's exploitative and harmful to the animals to industrialise the practice, in the same way it is to raise them for meat. Chickens are crammed into barns to lay eggs, cows are restrained in order to obtain milk, male calves are disposed of raised for veal, etc.
    I understand that viewpoint but I'd argue that there's nothing inherently unethical about eating eggs or drinking milk, so long as the animals haven't been mistreated. As long as you source your food ethically then I don't see the issue.

ReputationRep:
    I understand that viewpoint but I'd argue that there's nothing inherently unethical about eating eggs or drinking milk, so long as the animals haven't been mistreated. As long as you source your food ethically then I don't see the issue.
    Also there is the issue of if everyone adopted a vegan diet, then there would be no need to raise livestock. So you could argue that eating animal products is actually good for the animals as without the demand for animal products they would likely not have existed in the first place

ReputationRep:
    I like meat and most dairy products but I like vegetables and fruit too, also I need the protein.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    I agree, but for most vegans it's still exploitation of captive animals even if they're treatedly well and ethically.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not hipster enough to go vegan.

ReputationRep:
    I've been veggie my whole life, and I'm trying to slowly turn my diet vegan. I agree with everything about being vegan! I use eggs as little as possible, I use plant-based spread instead of butter/margarine, I've cut out using cheddar cheese and I only drink milk when I'm out, I try and cut dairy and eggs out when i bake, and I use almond milk at home for lattes
    The only thing making it a little more difficult is that I was diagnosed with coeliac disease a couple years ago, which cuts all gluten out my diet including bread and pasta, making it a bit more difficult to find vegan AND gluten free food that's why it's taking me a long time to make the changes in my diet, but I'm slowly getting there
    People look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them I wanna be vegan as well, but i'm determined and if i can do it, anyone can!

ReputationRep:
    I'll be honest I don't tend to eat sandwiches! I'm more of a soup and bread kind of person! I might have the occasional falafel wrap though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myblueheaven339)
    I'll be honest I don't tend to eat sandwiches! I'm more of a soup and bread kind of person! I might have the occasional falafel wrap though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Fair enough. Can't beat some nice crusty bread and a hearty bowl of soup especially at this time of year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RV91)
    All you need to supplement is b12.

This is all I eat in a day:

bread
    peanut butter
    jam
    assortment of veg when i crave them
    fruit when I crave it
    multivitamin
    soya-milk/coffee

and I don't get any cravings for meat/dairy

If you're Vegan, what do you eat?
    Don't forget calcium, when I didn't have enough calcium I got injured quite a bit more than when I drank milk alternatives and took calcium supps.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough. Can't beat some nice crusty bread and a hearty bowl of soup especially at this time of year
    Definitely

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This is all about utility.

I'm vegan because I rationally came to the conclusion that I have no need for animal products to fulfill my needs. My utility for knowing that my dietary choices are not only best for me, but the planet that I live and breathe on, outweigh my occasional cravings for cheese.

For meat eaters, they are either misinformed about the industries as a whole (excusable until they're educated) or they find greater utility in the pleasure of taste than the pleasure of knowing that you're actively doing a good thing.

Let's face it, the average Joe is overweight, drinks frequently, doesn't drink enough water, eats processed/sugar laden food with no nutritional value and you expect them to give Veganism a second thought? Seriously, I feel that vegans are sometimes very ignorant.

"Bacon, tho!" - 95% of meat eaters when discussing veganism

ReputationRep:
    I've tried it and its too difficult 😣😣 and it gets boring easily.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.