Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why aren't you Vegan? watch

• View Poll Results: Why aren't you Vegan?
    I am.
    16.52%
    Because I don't care about animals.
    10.43%
    Because I like meat.
    65.22%
    Because I like dairy products.
    48.70%
    Because I don't want to plan my diet.
    22.61%
    Because I don't know enough about nutrition.
    6.96%
    Because I hate eating vegetables.
    10.43%

• Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    Survival of the fittest. There are many animals which prey on Humans too, I.e Crocodiles, Lions, Leopards etc.

If there are animals which can eat meat, I don't see why Humans can't eat meat either?

ReputationRep:
    To be honest God wouldnt want any human to kill animals just to eat, I onlu eat meat cos thats what I get served on my plate most of the time!

ReputationRep:
    And if you're allergic to nuts?
    I like meat
    I disapprove of halal meat as if find it a vile practice
    I source ethically bred and slaughtered chicken, beef and pork
    And what would I do without a delicious crispy bacon Sandwich?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveleest)
    I've tried it and its too difficult 😣😣 and it gets boring easily.
    That was the case for me during my first 3 months, but then I learned how to actually cook and researched just how bad meat consumption is for the body and for the environment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveleest)
    I've tried it and its too difficult 😣😣 and it gets boring easily.
    I've found the same. I've been vegetarian for years & ideally feel like I should be vegan. I've really cut down on dairy products but there's just some things I haven't found any decent substitutes for, cheese for example. The vegan cheese I've tried reminds me of plastic (not that I make a habit of eating plastic btw ) Also eating out at most places is pretty much impossible if you stick to a strictly vegan diet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thequickspark)

"Bacon, tho!" - 95% of meat eaters when discussing veganism
    I've heard comments about bacon a ridiculous amount of times when people have found out I'm vegetarian. I don't really understand the obsession with it, I never liked the taste of bacon all that much even when I did eat meat.

ReputationRep:
    The calcium thing for me is a problem. I cannot take supplements as I cannot swallow them (issues with my gag reflex because of a psychological problem) so I get my calcium from dairy products (although not cheese I'm allergic) I'm at risk of brittle bones due to early menopause so I need my milk.
    I don't eat red meat anyway- only chicken and fish.
    Cooking decent meals is very difficult for me because of disability so I tend to eat whatever is easier and it's not some vegan stuff.
    I hate nuts, I don't have much truck with stuff like Quinoa (who eats that stuff?!) I would end up living on rice and couscous which isn't much good for anyone- especially not someone with several chronic illnesses like me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princessmaire80)
    The calcium thing for me is a problem. I cannot take supplements as I cannot swallow them (issues with my gag reflex because of a psychological problem) so I get my calcium from dairy products (although not cheese I'm allergic) I'm at risk of brittle bones due to early menopause so I need my milk.
    I don't eat red meat anyway- only chicken and fish.
    Cooking decent meals is very difficult for me because of disability so I tend to eat whatever is easier and it's not some vegan stuff.
    I hate nuts, I don't have much truck with stuff like Quinoa (who eats that stuff?!) I would end up living on rice and couscous which isn't much good for anyone- especially not someone with several chronic illnesses like me.
    I'm not saying this to undermine you and I understand your concern. In fact, I too have had similar concerns about my calcium intake, however, I have found plenty of alternatives.

For one, dark leafy greens when eaten as part of a balanced vegan diet can provide ample amounts of calcium, along with a plethora of other micro-nutrients that are crucial for basic bodily functionality. These sources also lack the sometimes high fat content found with dairy products and don't contain bovine hormones, fecal matter (you read that correctly), pus and don't require an animal to be artificially inseminated in the process.

Secondly, I hear you on the supplements thing! There are alternatives like getting your calcium from real foods, or switching to one of the many milk alternatives like Soya milk, which are often fortified to contain B12, calcium and vitamin D. I don't recommend these sources in excess, as there has been some work linking calcium supplements to blood clotting (or something to that degree.)

Finally, milk isn't a good source of calcium. In theory and on paper, milk would seem like a really good source of calcium and vitamin D, however, research has shown that the countries with the highest incidence of osteoporosis also consume the most dairy products. The current line of reasoning is that the acidity of milk causes your body to break down stores of calcium in your body (in your bones and teeth) in order to help digest and neutralise the milk.

In your case, even if you want to continue consuming dairy, please make sure that you obtain sufficient amounts of calcium from dark leafy greens and other sources than dairy. Have dairy as a treat or as an addition to your morning coffee or tea, but don't rely on it exclusively for your calcium intake, ESPECIALLY, if you're suffering from brittle bones.

That's just my two cents.

I hope you're doing well. If you want me to include the research regarding osteoporosis and dairy consumption, or provide examples of dark leafy greens and non-dairy sources of calcium, just let me know and I'd be happy to help!

ReputationRep:
    cause ba da ba ba ba.. IM LURVVVVVVVVVVIN IT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RV91)
    not really, since all core nutrients can be provided by a plant-based diet except for vitimin b12, which would be found in fresh water if we didn't sterilise it like we do now. (i'm not suggesting that we stop sterilising water, but I am suggesting that a vegan diet is perfectly natural and what we're "meant for" above any other diet)
    B12 in meat in modern days is synthetic too because animals don't get enough of it in modern farming.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying this to undermine you and I understand your concern. In fact, I too have had similar concerns about my calcium intake, however, I have found plenty of alternatives.

For one, dark leafy greens when eaten as part of a balanced vegan diet can provide ample amounts of calcium, along with a plethora of other micro-nutrients that are crucial for basic bodily functionality. These sources also lack the sometimes high fat content found with dairy products and don't contain bovine hormones, fecal matter (you read that correctly), pus and don't require an animal to be artificially inseminated in the process.

Secondly, I hear you on the supplements thing! There are alternatives like getting your calcium from real foods, or switching to one of the many milk alternatives like Soya milk, which are often fortified to contain B12, calcium and vitamin D. I don't recommend these sources in excess, as there has been some work linking calcium supplements to blood clotting (or something to that degree.)

Finally, milk isn't a good source of calcium. In theory and on paper, milk would seem like a really good source of calcium and vitamin D, however, research has shown that the countries with the highest incidence of osteoporosis also consume the most dairy products. The current line of reasoning is that the acidity of milk causes your body to break down stores of calcium in your body (in your bones and teeth) in order to help digest and neutralise the milk.

In your case, even if you want to continue consuming dairy, please make sure that you obtain sufficient amounts of calcium from dark leafy greens and other sources than dairy. Have dairy as a treat or as an addition to your morning coffee or tea, but don't rely on it exclusively for your calcium intake, ESPECIALLY, if you're suffering from brittle bones.

That's just my two cents.

I hope you're doing well. If you want me to include the research regarding osteoporosis and dairy consumption, or provide examples of dark leafy greens and non-dairy sources of calcium, just let me know and I'd be happy to help!
    Thanks for your reply.
    I don't actually have brittle bones, but I'm at higher risk of it.
    Something I forgot to mention is that I have to also be extremely careful about iron levels in what I consume. My mum suffers from haemochromatosis (please google if you don't know what it is) and is not allowed to consume any green veg at all. I am currently under observation by doctors as I am at high risk of developing it due to genetic factors and other reasons and I have been advised to limit consumption of anything with high iron levels which unfortunately is most natural sources of calcium.
    This is one reason why I would struggle with a vegan diet. I have an eating disorder and already eat quite a limited diet although I do eat a lot of Quorn so I probably could give up fish and chicken but at the minute I'm pretty much living on it. Trying to do my finals right now and I'm just eating whatever I can get my hands on!

ReputationRep:
    People aren't vegan because they enjoy their food. I could easily live on a vegan diet but I'd much prefer to have some meat.
    Like right now I'm making myself some breakfast. I would be fine with just avocado toast but I'd much prefer the bacon and eggs I'm making
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    My diet is limited enough. I don't want to limit it any more.

ReputationRep:
    I'm vegetarian because of morality and what it tells me. I don't feel comfortable consuming the flesh of, what once was, a living creature.
    I'm not vegan because I believe that dairy products aren't directly harmful to animals, if done with compassion. However, I abhor the notion that animals are mere property and commodity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joel 96)
    I'm vegetarian because of morality and what it tells me. I don't feel comfortable consuming the flesh of, what once was, a living creature.
    I'm not vegan because I believe that dairy products aren't directly harmful to animals, if done with compassion. However, I abhor the notion that animals are mere property and commodity.
    To a degree, I can appreciate what you're saying. The very fact that you're vegetarian and do not contribute to the direct slaughter of animals is a great feat and nothing to scoff at.

However.

The idea of obtaining the milk in a manner that is "compassionate" is something that I have to question and is an area where I have great doubt. For a start, I doubt that the milk you consume is always "compassionately" obtained, and that your standards of compassion are going to vary from my own.

Cow's milk is meant for a calf. Cows only produce milk during lactation, meaning that a cow would have to be pregnant or have a calf in order to do so. This means that the cow either became pregnant naturally through insemination with a bull, or artificial insemination using a rape rack (a term founded by the industry, not myself.)

With this out of the way, then you have to consider what happens to the calf? Obviously, we want the milk for ourselves and the calf is only going to cut into our profit margin, especially, in terms of providing it with land and ample food. In most cases, the calf is either discarded for the vile industry, or bread into a fully sized cow in order to repeat the cycle of dairy production. By my standards, this is inherently cruel and unjustifiable.

The alternative, is that we keep all the calfs alive, which are produced by cows used for dairy consumption, and this will simply not be a cost-effective method of production.

Then you have the issue of the substantially reduced life expectancy caused by constantly having cows in a state of lactation. We're talking 20 years down to an average of 4 or 5.

Look, as I've already said, you're already doing a great job by eliminating most animal products from your diet and I'm not going to tell you that you have to go vegan. However, the idea of compassionate sourcing of milk is just unrealistic to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RV91)
    All you need to supplement is b12.

This is all I eat in a day:

bread
    peanut butter
    jam
    assortment of veg when i crave them
    fruit when I crave it
    multivitamin
    soya-milk/coffee

and I don't get any cravings for meat/dairy

If you're Vegan, what do you eat?
    I'm not, but I have my pets on a strict vegan only diet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ)
    I'm not, but I have my pets on a strict vegan only diet.
    That's an interesting concept. What kind of pets do you have? Please make sure that you feed carnivorous animals meat. I fear that not doing so is more cruel than feeding them meat.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    That's an interesting concept. What kind of pets do you have? Please make sure that you feed carnivorous animals meat. I fear that not doing so is more cruel than feeding them meat.
    I have an adorable dog and a cat that is the spawn of satan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ)
    I have an adorable dog and a cat that is the spawn of satan.
    Those are both carnivorous animals, who need meat in order to be healthy. I've heard that there are some vegan pet foods available, however, I've seen that their health tends to deteriorate on such diets. Be careful!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.