The Student Room Group

Why aren't you Vegan?

Scroll to see replies

I would like to make it clear. Any attempt to limit consumption of meat, dairy or eggs is a step in the right direction and something you should be proud of. It would be beautiful if the world would turn vegan, but that's unrealistic... we can't even stop people killing each other for God's sake, never mind the innocent animals we slaughter by the billions.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Excellent point.

lol at meat substitutes as well.

You don't really have to consume meat/dairy artificial substitutes. Everything is found in a plant based diet, even in raw vegan 80-10-10.

B12 found in meat and dairy is artificially made as well so there is no reliable natural source of it in the modern world. Please keep that in mind.
Original post by Thequickspark
This is all about utility.

I'm vegan because I rationally came to the conclusion that I have no need for animal products to fulfill my needs. My utility for knowing that my dietary choices are not only best for me, but the planet that I live and breathe on, outweigh my occasional cravings for cheese.

For meat eaters, they are either misinformed about the industries as a whole (excusable until they're educated) or they find greater utility in the pleasure of taste than the pleasure of knowing that you're actively doing a good thing.

Let's face it, the average Joe is overweight, drinks frequently, doesn't drink enough water, eats processed/sugar laden food with no nutritional value and you expect them to give Veganism a second thought? Seriously, I feel that vegans are sometimes very ignorant.

"Bacon, tho!" - 95% of meat eaters when discussing veganism :wink:

Truthfully, I find vegetarians and vegans to have very little idea about the realities of farming. For many farmers, the welfare of their animals is a priority. People go into farming because they love animals. You can't do it if you don't because it's hard work, long hours and relatively low incomes. Many dairy farmers in this country struggle to make a profit unless they make butter/cheese/ice cream etc. on site.

Also lost of veggies/vegans talk about the amount of land used to rear livestock without understanding that often land used for livestock farming is utterly unsuitable for arable farming.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Truthfully, I find vegetarians and vegans to have very little idea about the realities of farming. For many farmers, the welfare of their animals is a priority. People go into farming because they love animals. You can't do it if you don't because it's hard work, long hours and relatively low incomes. Many dairy farmers in this country struggle to make a profit unless they make butter/cheese/ice cream etc. on site.

Also lost of veggies/vegans talk about the amount of land used to rear livestock without understanding that often land used for livestock farming is utterly unsuitable for arable farming.

Would you kill and eat a cow you love? Would you eat your cat/dog or even gold-fish?!
Seriously????

Where the meat you are eating comes from? Most comes from industrial farming where no one cares about the welfare of the animals - at all.
If you eat high quality privet farming meat, it means you can afford even better (nutrition-wise) non-animal based food.
People go into farming because they love animals.

Interesting definition of love - taking a job that invariably involves the destruction and exploitation of living creatures.
What is the purpose of a pig if its not to eat its sweet meat.
Original post by Kathy89
Would you kill and eat a cow you love? Would you eat your cat/dog or even gold-fish?!
Seriously????

Where the meat you are eating comes from? Most comes from industrial farming where no one cares about the welfare of the animals - at all.
If you eat high quality privet farming meat, it means you can afford even better (nutrition-wise) non-animal based food.

I would every time i look at my gold fish i just see a big fish finger. When I stroke my cat i just want to sink my teeth in to its flesh.
Being Vegan its just a silly phase like its somethign tredndy to say its all lode of rubbish lets face it. In a few years the phase will just die out.
PDF document from WWF (World Wide Fund for Nature) which I think is probably worth reading, it highlight some of the environmental issues that come with being vegetarian / vegan.

My main issue with it is the fact that we'd need far more land space to be able to grow enough produce, which means more forests are likely to be cut down, which would then mean more animals are having their habitats destroyed. The land required for all these crops to replace beef and lamb is about 1,352 kilo hectares (kha), compared with about 135 kha to supply concentrates for ruminant meat now.

Not to mention the fact that the crops will most likely be covered in pesticides which means that any insects once inhabiting the area will inevitably start to decline. I believe you also have the right to shoot animals such as deer if they are causing damage to crops in some places, and other forms of preventing damage caused by these animals are using dogs, and electric and non-electric fences.

As far as I'm concerned, not eating meat is actually doing more harm to animals than if we were to continue eating it.

Edit: Found some articles I felt might be relevant.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk

https://www.theguardian.com
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kathy89
Seriously????

I volunteer at a small commercial city farm. The piglets will go to slaughter, as will some of the goat kids. I will happily eat meat from the animals I've loved and played with. Because they've had a good life and there's nothing unethical about eating livestock that has been cared for.

Yes, there are awful huge commercial farms. But that's not a problem with farming, that's a problem with capitalism. And buying from the many farmers who do care for their animals (if you can) is a very good way to improve the lives of farm animals.

I have an eating disorder. Taking meat out of my diet is not an option for me. And I'm on benefits so I can't always afford the best meat. But I do care about animals. And I do know that farming isn't inherently bad. I don't need to take meat and milk and eggs out of my diet. I know that unfortunately my financial situation means that the source of my food isn't always what I would want it to be. But I feel the same about the places I buy my clothes - I'd love to not buy from big chains that exploit workers in poor countries but that's not a feasible option right now.
Original post by SCIENCE :D

Screen Shot 2017-04-04 at 11.21.13.png

This is an image of a gorilla skull. Notice the massive canine teeth. It is very easily verified that gorillas are, besides the occasional bit of ant-fishing, entirely vegan. Possessing canine teeth means absolutely nothing.
(edited 7 years ago)

I have an eating disorder. Taking meat out of my diet is not an option for me. And I'm on benefits so I can't always afford the best meat. But I do care about animals.

In other words, blablablablabla.
Why don't you leave me alone and stop trying to shove your veganism down my throat. How about you step of you moral and ethical stool and let people eat what they want. I don't go around preaching to people about how they need to eat seasonal vegetables because I know it will fall on deaf ears.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
x

And here's an image of a chimpanzees skull, the animal that we compare to us humans on a regular basis.

Spoiler

Here's a fun fact for you, chimpanzees are well known for hunting other animals and eating meat!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/earth/story/20150728-chimps-nearly-wiped-out-monkeys

http://www.americanscientist.org/issues/pub/chimpanzee-hunting-behavior-and-human-evolution/1

http://www-bcf.usc.edu/~stanford/chimphunt.html

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Because BBQ
Because it ain't rational, i can't think of any reason to be vegan.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
And here's an image of a chimpanzees skull, the animal that we compare to us humans on a regular basis.

Spoiler

Here's a fun fact for you, chimpanzees are well known for hunting other animals and eating meat!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/earth/story/20150728-chimps-nearly-wiped-out-monkeys

http://www.americanscientist.org/issues/pub/chimpanzee-hunting-behavior-and-human-evolution/1

http://www-bcf.usc.edu/~stanford/chimphunt.html

Spoiler

Sure, I realise. The original poster's claim was that, because we possess canine teeth, we are naturally omnivorous. My point wasn't that no omnivores have canine teeth, it was that not all animals with canine teeth are omnivores, and hence, having canine teeth doesn't necessarily mean we're "supposed" to be omnivorous.
Original post by yeled ez
Because it ain't rational, i can't think of any reason to be vegan.

It's one of the best ways to lower your carbon footprint, that's one reason. :smile:

And there's the way animals don't have to die for your food...
Original post by TommyCT
It's one of the best ways to lower your carbon footprint, that's one reason. :smile:

And there's the way animals don't have to die for your food...

But you don't need to become vegan for that, cut down on meat, maybe switch to rabbits and venison then you'd actually be helping the environment by eating meat. Whats wrong with eating honey or goats milk? Surely if we switch to eating more insect protein it would make a huge difference but you can't do that, why restrict yourself unnecessarily?
Original post by yeled ez
But you don't need to become vegan for that, cut down on meat, maybe switch to rabbits and venison then you'd actually be helping the environment by eating meat. Whats wrong with eating honey or goats milk? Surely if we switch to eating more insect protein it would make a huge difference but you can't do that, why restrict yourself unnecessarily?

You don't need to but as it's so good for the environment it is a good reason to go vegan. And rather than looking at it as why should we restrict ourselves unnecessarily it should be why should we cause suffering unnecessarily? If we can live without exploiting others, and it's not difficult, why shouldn't we?

Quick Reply

Latest