Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have 5 offers from Glasgow Uni, Strathclyde, Dundee, Aberdeen and UWS to study Physics. I'm from Germany btw, that's why I don't really know what the different unis are known for... It sounds silly, but I'm scared of the course being too hard. Since I didn't learn physics the way it's taught in the UK at A level, I feel like I will struggle a lot. That's why I don't want to go to Uni of Glasgow, since from what I gather it would be the 'hardest' course. Don't want to go to Aberdeen because of the location. Now I was told recently that Dundee is a bit crap and obviously UWS is the last resort option for most people. So that leaves Strathclyde. Now is studying at Strathclyde very challenging? Location is brilliant so that's a plus, but the entry requirements were very high, so I'm wondering whether there will only be super smart brainiacs around and I will want to drop out after 3 weeks. Any info about the atmosphere, the kinds of people who go to strathclyde or if the courses are very demanding would be super helpful! Thank you

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...26%20astronomy

This university guide also includes reviews from students and ranks universities on student satisfaction. As you can see form the guide though, Glasgow is definitely the best University. I wouldn't let something like a course being difficult holding me back from attending such a high ranking university! There are plenty of services to help you! Often international students tend to outperform local students as well!

How many ways can physics be taught?

Strathclyde seems to be the best out of the three you have limited yourself to though!

ReputationRep:
    Hey susn-k.

I'm currently in my first year of physics at strathclyde and I'm an idiot so I'm sure you'd be fine if you came here haha. As for the course, I'd say it's pretty challenging, but not too demanding if you're prepared to put the work in. We get about 4-5 one hour lectures on physics + 4 one hour lectures on maths + a couple of extra subjects of our choice, and some tutorials + lab experiments each week, so it's not too bad. The atmosphere is pretty chilled I feel, and the location is great for pretty much everything as it's right in the city centre of Glasgow, so thats a plus in my books. Also the university is quite a big one, so we've got a good mix of all different kinds of people that go here; super smart braniacs, lazy students (like me) and a decent amount of foreign students like you from around Europe etc. so it shouldn't too much of a problem fitting in.

Either way like the above user said - I don't think you should be worried about certain universities being too difficult, as they wouldn't have offered you a place to begin with if your qualifications weren't suitable. And just fyi we don't have A-levels in Scotland either so most people going to the ones you listed wouldn't have taken them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by strathystudent)
    Hey susn-k.

I'm currently in my first year of physics at strathclyde and I'm an idiot so I'm sure you'd be fine if you came here haha. As for the course, I'd say it's pretty challenging, but not too demanding if you're prepared to put the work in. We get about 4-5 one hour lectures on physics + 4 one hour lectures on maths + a couple of extra subjects of our choice, and some tutorials + lab experiments each week, so it's not too bad. The atmosphere is pretty chilled I feel, and the location is great for pretty much everything as it's right in the city centre of Glasgow, so thats a plus in my books. Also the university is quite a big one, so we've got a good mix of all different kinds of people that go here; super smart braniacs, lazy students (like me) and a decent amount of foreign students like you from around Europe etc. so it shouldn't too much of a problem fitting in.

Either way like the above user said - I don't think you should be worried about certain universities being too difficult, as they wouldn't have offered you a place to begin with if your qualifications weren't suitable. And just fyi we don't have A-levels in Scotland either so most people going to the ones you listed wouldn't have taken them.
    Thanks so much! You've made me feel far less paranoid. Good luck with Physics!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mimikyu)
    http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...26%20astronomy

This university guide also includes reviews from students and ranks universities on student satisfaction. As you can see form the guide though, Glasgow is definitely the best University. I wouldn't let something like a course being difficult holding me back from attending such a high ranking university! There are plenty of services to help you! Often international students tend to outperform local students as well!

How many ways can physics be taught?

Strathclyde seems to be the best out of the three you have limited yourself to though!
    Thanks a lot, I'll definitely have a closer look at the uni guide...

ReputationRep:
    Hey! You basically summed up everything I was gonna say in your post so it seems like you know what you're doing ahahah.
    I deifnitely wouldnt go for UWS, pretty low reputation and not a great location either.
    Aberdeen is actually pretty nice, as is Dundee. Both have a bit of a bad rep but Dundee is certainly improving and is renowned for its good universities.
    Aberdeen is too, I actually live in Aberdeen and It's a nice city Unis are good too. My first choice would definitely be Strathclyde though. That's where I'm hoping to get in. The standards and quality of teaching are great, Glasgow is a great city. I would definitely go for it, and I'm sure you would cope fine

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.