ReputationRep:
    Define your understanding of time.

ReputationRep:
    Passing of nights and days
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    I think there are two main approaches to considering time. The first is philosophical: questioning our perception of time; the second is physical: questioning what can be said to be fundamentally true about time. The philosophical study of time can tell us about our experience of time, and the physical study can tell us to what degree our experience couldn’t be any other way.

Physically speaking, space-time is the ‘canvas’ upon which matter and energy can exist, and so the existence of physical entities such as us implies (at least in our universe) their placement somewhere in space-time. But we can't separate space and time to think about time-only concepts.

Philosophically speaking, time is the sensation of one moment cascading into the next. It seems to move only forwards, but it could in principle be the opposite case and we'd have no way of knowing. It might feel fast or slow, but without anything to compare it to we can't objectively say it's either. And, even if someone did change the 'length' of a second, we wouldn't be able to notice it.

To me personally it's always a strange thing to think about. I like to take a moment to notice how old I am, then immediately feel thankful that the answer is still not too old. Whenever I ask it though, the answer could be anything, so it's always a relief when it's on the low side, since there’s nothing that says it has to be. Many times when I ask the question, I expect that it won’t be.

ReputationRep:
    It's just the difference in change between two events.

Nothing can travel faster than light, not even time. So whatever time is, if it's a thing, is restricted by the speed of light.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RV91)
    Define your understanding of time.
    I like to think its a process of aging. Where particles decay until they reach nothingness. Time is probably the only thing in existence that is a constant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ua3142)
    I like to think its a process of aging. Where particles decay until they reach nothingness. Time is probably the only thing in existence that is a constant.
    Time is not constant...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AishaGirl)
    Time is not constant...
    I guess you are right, but I was thinking in terms of everyday life, life and death.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.