Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My results are currently
    A* (90%) - Mathematics
    B (78%) - Physics
    C (67%) - Economics
    c (65%) - Thinking Skills
    and I have finished my 2 year Junior college course. Also I'm an international student and taking the CIE exam qualifications

My school didn't offer F.Maths to me so I intend to self-study and take the exams on November 2017. I also plan to retake Physics and (Mathematics if necessary to enter Cambridge though one sitting).

My question is:
    • Would Cambridge accept me if I get the required grades (or higher due to the retakes) or would that not be possible due to the competition for places in this university?
    • Is it required to take the A-level exams in one-sitting?
    • Are retakes a red-flag and make me less competitive for places?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Zayce)
    My results are currently
    A* (90%) - Mathematics
    B (78%) - Physics
    C (67%) - Economics
    and I have finished my 2 year Junior college course. Also I'm an international student and taking the CIE exam qualifications

My school didn't offer F.Maths to me so I intend to self-study and take the exams on November 2017. I also plan to retake Physics and (Mathematics if necessary to enter Cambridge though one sitting).

My question is:
    • Would Cambridge accept me if I get the required grades (or higher due to the retakes) or would that not be possible due to the competition for places in this university?
    Resitting 1, or perhaps 2, modules is fine. Resitting more will disadvantage you. As would taking more than 2 years to complete your A-levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Resitting 1, or perhaps 2, modules is fine. Resitting more will disadvantage you. As would taking more than 2 years to complete your A-levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My exam board (CIE) doesn't allow for resitting individual modules, I need to resit the whole exam. Would this deter or help in the application?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Zayce)
    My exam board (CIE) doesn't allow for resitting individual modules, I need to resit the whole exam. Would this deter or help in the application?
    Let's see what Peterhouse Admissions or Murray Edwards Admissions think.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Zayce)
    My results are currently
    A* (90%) - Mathematics
    B (78%) - Physics
    C (67%) - Economics

My question is:
    It isn't required to take the A levels in one sitting in cases like yours and we don't have a strict policy regarding retakes - some retakes are understandable but lots can cause concern.

Remember though that we will ask for your current resutls and will assess you on these. FM isn't requried for Computer Science so your current grades will be of interest. In all honesty, unless there are compelling extentuating circumstances, your profile isn't very strong and if you were to apply there is a very good chance that you wouldn't be invited to interview. Our typical offer for Computer Sciences is A*A*A and your grades are some way below that level.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    King's College Undergraduate
    Tue, 18 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.