Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What my options are with 300 UCAS points to study Economics as a mature student? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

I am nearly 30 of age and I graduated with a PASS in Computer Science some years ago in a good university, I have been regretting about the poor results due to some trouble at that time and I am not happy about my current life as a bookkeeper in a small office.

I wish to study Economics which is where my initial interest lies and determine to gain good grades to allow me go further and higher in postgraduate studies afterwards. I believe there is no chance to do Master degree directly with my current situation?

I definitely want to go to a good university for Postgraduate so I want to make sure I am on the right track for it.

I see that for undergraduate some universities rank around 50 only requires less than 200 UCAS points to study full time .. but any decent universities that I recongnise would jump right up to an AAB at least which would be 340 .........

I have also been learning a lot about Open University and UoL International Programme, the later seems to be more appealing to me as it appears to open more doors provided I do get the grades.

and I wonder if I am better off going to a proper uni since I got ABC equiv to 300 UCAS points but where should I go that gives more weight than going to the UoL International Programme?

Any thoughts and opinions are appreciated. Thanks everyone.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    You will have to do some research to work out which unis will take you with your profile but you're probably right that you need to do an undergrad degree first before you will be considered for a masters degree. Please don't worry about rankings. Look at courses and work out which ones interest you most and you can do with the grades you have. Is there any way you can do an additional A level or retake an A level to bump up your grades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    You will have to do some research to work out which unis will take you with your profile but you're probably right that you need to do an undergrad degree first before you will be considered for a masters degree. Please don't worry about rankings. Look at courses and work out which ones interest you most and you can do with the grades you have. Is there any way you can do an additional A level or retake an A level to bump up your grades?
    Hi alleycat393, thanks for your reply. Having left uni for quite a while now I may not be complete up to date, I had the impression that resitting exams these days don't really help much because they can still see your initial A Level results and that is what they are after when selecting candidates? Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Just to add to what alleycat said, if you already have a degree (do you? your post wasn't completely clear) then you won't be able to take out a student loan to pay for a second undergraduate degree. As a self-financing student then the OU or the University of London's International Programme are your best options (they are certainly the cheapest).
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Liliahh)
    Hi alleycat393, thanks for your reply. Having left uni for quite a while now I may not be complete up to date, I had the impression that resitting exams these days don't really help much because they can still see your initial A Level results and that is what they are after when selecting candidates? Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong
    Unis require you to have done the A levels in a certain number of years and some unis are not happy to consider people who have resat their exams but it is possible to do and if you do unis will see your best grades.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.