Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I'm stuck on a question in the C2 book (Edexcel). It's PG 97, EX 6C, Q 9.

In the diagram, AB and AC are tangents to a circle, centre 0 and radius 3.6cm (BO). Calculate the area of the shaded region, given that (Angle) BOC = 2/3pi radians.

The shaded region is BAC.

Thank you.
    Attachment 618534

---Moved to Maths---
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Edzinga)
    Hello,

I'm stuck on a question in the C2 book (Edexcel). It's PG 97, EX 6C, Q 9.

In the diagram, AB and AC are tangents to a circle, centre 0 and radius 3.6cm (BO). Calculate the area of the shaded region, given that (Angle) BOC = 2/3pi radians.

The shaded region is BAC.

Thank you.

---Moved to Maths---
    Please post a picture of the question. Not everyone has access to the book.

And please also post your working and explain why you're stuck.

ReputationRep:
    The radius of a circle always meets the tangent at a 90 degree angle...

Consider cutting the kite in two to form two identical right-angled triangles...

You should be able to find the area of the shaded region from there (I think)

Ages since I did GCSE maths so apologies if this is wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=TheMightyAugur;70026592]The radius of a circle always meets the tangent at a 90 degree angle...

Consider cutting the kite in two to form two identical right-angled triangles...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, Thank you. I'll try that and see where I get to.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    The radius of a circle always meets the tangent at a 90 degree angle...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, Thank you. I'll try that and see where I get to.
    Did you try this? I noticed you created another thread but it was the same question so keep it all in this thread please.

You need to draw a horizontal line in the kite to split it into two triangles. Both triangles are right-angled because of a circle theorem (tangent/radius).

The picture isn't showing for me anymore so I can't be more specific with which two triangles I'm talking about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notnek)
    Did you try this? I noticed you created another thread but it was the same question so keep it all in this thread please.

You need to draw a horizontal line in the kite to split it into two triangles. Both triangles are right-angled because of a circle theorem (tangent/radius).

The picture isn't showing for me anymore so I can't be more specific with which two triangles I'm talking about.
    I've done the horizontal line and I've found the area of the kite as a whole, however I'm not sure how to find the area of the shaded region with this information

Name:  Q9.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  56.6 KB
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    I've done the horizontal line and I've found the area of the kite as a whole, however I'm not sure how to find the area of the shaded region with this information
    The shaded region is the area of the kite minus the area of the sector. Can you see that?

So the next step is to find the area of the sector.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notnek)
    The shaded region is the area of the kite minus the area of the sector. Can you see that?

So the next step is to find the area of the sector.
    Ohhh okay, that's so much more obvious now you've pointed that out. Thank you very much.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.