Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
loggins
The Marriott :smile:.

ooooh nice one. I never thought of that.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 21
Where do you go? Bannatynes?
Reply 22
We have the best bannatynes in the country apparently, but it's incredibly expensive.
Reply 23
Where? York or Durham?
Reply 24
york, it's 10 minutes from my house by foot
Reply 25
Cool! I'm not sure what the Bannatynes in Durham is like. I was a member there years ago and it was OK, but I guess it's changed since then.
Reply 26
I'm tempted by the Marriott because I'm living 10 seconds away, but Trevs gym is free so that does the job for me.
Reply 27
does anyone know what the parsons field gym is like? because the south bailey gym sucks major beehind
I have yet to join a proper society. Sure, I'm in Hild Bede film soc, but that's just to get in to our cinema for half price. Again, I'm member of Hild Bede gym soc, but that's just to use the gym.

So this year I'm taking the plunge and I'm doing ballroom dancing, LINKS/St John's Ambulance/First Aid, German lessons and probably joining an external boxing club, though I may settle for a University martial arts soc if one takes my fancy at the freshers fair.
There are so many socs I want to join, but as they're all in Durham (does anyone know where I can find a list of Stockton ones? I don't do sport or music) I really need to limit myself to one or two because it's not practical/sensible to be going 40mins to Durham every evening. Ones that particularly appeal to me are: DofE, Archaeology, Scifi&fantasy, improv, theatre, yoga... anyone have experience of any of these?
Reply 30
The "Happily Ever After" soc sounds good to me...:biggrin:
Reply 31
Dodgeball. Assuming there are at least fifteen members, I fail to see how it can't be the best society ever.
Reply 32
Real Ale Soc?
Tea and Biscuit society was founded by someone who lived on the same floor as me in 1st year as a way of getting £30 from DSU to buy more biscuits, fact.
Reply 33
Most societies just rob your money and you never hear from them again.
Reply 34
jazznaz
Tea And Biscuit Soc? :p:

No joke, TABS rocks! Not that I'm a real member or anything... but if you join you can get loads of free tea, good chat and prospects of tea factory tours!

arkbar
Tea and Biscuit society was founded by someone who lived on the same floor as me in 1st year as a way of getting £30 from DSU to buy more biscuits, fact.

Mr. North is a legend in the very proper sense of the word. He rides a unicycle.
Reply 35
He's one of those uniquely individual people who Durham seem to be very good at producing. Sadly, he's on a year abroad this year so I will not experience his greatness. He also managed to live on a budget of £15/week, I was very impressed.
Reply 36
he sounds like a legend!

my favourite society (very similar to tea and biscuits, now i come to think of it) is john's ladies group. only it's not a ratified society, and you have to be in john's, and a girl, to join. it's a beautiful thing though, we have our own stash and everything (embroidered pashminas. oh yes) :biggrin:
Reply 37
You voluntarily wear pashminas? Please tell me this is some sort of 'ironic' thing... :p:
sarbruis
Dodgeball. Assuming there are at least fifteen members, I fail to see how it can't be the best society ever.

If this doesn't exist we definitely need to start this!!! Frisbee would also be pretty mint
Reply 39
Hill Walking Society :biggrin:
Join!

Latest