Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I'm 20 right now and I've just finished a Security Systems Engineering Apprenticeship which is just a fancy word for installing commercial alarm systems, CCTV, Door access etc etc... Very hands-on work. I left College at 18 with an AS level in Computer Science (Grade D) and a level 3 extended diploma in ICT (D,M,M). From a young age (8 or so) I've always been fascinated by computer science and have always pictured me doing it as a living. I never finished my Computer Science to A2 because I was so disheartened by the D I got. I mean, this was my passion, yet I did so badly in it, I thought maybe this wasn't for me after-all and decided to drop the idea of it completely and get a job in a completely different sector, which is how I landed on my apprenticeship.

2 Years into this job now and honestly? I really miss computer science. I know I got a D but looking back I wasn't nearly as committed as I should have been to the course. I'd leave the homework till last minute and sometimes just never do it. How stupid of me to waste an opportunity like that... On the bright-side I've still got my Level 3 BTEC in ICT, that's some UCAS points right?

What I'm saying is I want to get back into Computing/Computer Science and would really love to get a BCs in it. Although, I don't think I have a chance in hell with the majority of universities. Also, have I left it too late to apply for this year? I really don't know how all this works. I've been researching these things called foundation years where some of the top universities like Durham for example are offering a BCs in computer science qualification for students that might not have the right entry requirements to begin with, it just means you have to do an extra year basically and pass an exam before going onto the actual degree.

I'm really not sure whether I have a chance at all, but this passion I have for computer science is really something that's never going to leave me. I'm going to be 21 in September, I can just feel the opportunites slipping away as time goes on... What are my options? if there's any at all? If you think I do have a chance maybe with a foundation degree program, how would I go about getting onto a CS degree this year? Thanks for your time guys.

ReputationRep:
    The deadline was the 15th January to apply for any course through UCAS, so, unless you can get on through clearing in August, I doubt you'll be able to start before September next year.

Perhaps try contacting some of the unis you're interested, tell them your grades, ask if they would consider you and find out whether they're likely to have any places available through clearing in August.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeapingLucy)
    The deadline was the 15th January to apply for any course through UCAS, so, unless you can get on through clearing in August, I doubt you'll be able to start before September next year.

Perhaps try contacting some of the unis you're interested, tell them your grades, ask if they would consider you and find out whether they're likely to have any places available through clearing in August.
    Ahh that's annoying. Just missed it. Thanks Lucy, I'll contact a few of them and see if they'll still consider me through clearing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zn1)
    Ahh that's annoying. Just missed it. Thanks Lucy, I'll contact a few of them and see if they'll still consider me through clearing.
    That is not correct. The deadline of 15th of Jan means the university HAS to consider your application. I would call the uni your interested in and ask if they still have spaces. If they have they will allow you to apply. I have just received an unconditional offer for my chosen course after submitting my UCAS application a week ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mhezz)
    That is not correct. The deadline of 15th of Jan means the university HAS to consider your application. I would call the uni your interested in and ask if they still have spaces. If they have they will allow you to apply. I have just received an unconditional offer for my chosen course after submitting my UCAS application a week ago.
    Thanks. That helps me understand it a bit better. So the way I understand this is as follows, let me know if I'm way off.
    I just phone up, see if they have a space available and give them my qualifications? If they're happy with everything I get a place reserved while I send them my qualifications as confirmation of everything I've said etc...
    Then we sort out accommodation and finance etc...

Do they not need to meet me/conduct an interview or anything like that? No personal statement?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zn1)
    Thanks. That helps me understand it a bit better. So the way I understand this is as follows, let me know if I'm way off.
    I just phone up, see if they have a space available and give them my qualifications? If they're happy with everything I get a place reserved while I send them my qualifications as confirmation of everything I've said etc...
    Then we sort out accommodation and finance etc...

Do they not need to meet me/conduct an interview or anything like that? No personal statement?
    No, all applications must go through UCAS. This was taken from the UCAS website:

If you don’t meet the main application deadline, you can still apply for many courses.
    We recommend you ask the universities whether they have vacancies first – especially for courses with a 15 October deadline, as it’s unusual for them to consider late applications because their courses are really competitive.
    • 30 June, 18:00 (UK time) – the final deadline for late applications with course choices
    • 20 September, 18:00 (UK time) – it’s still okay to apply by this date, but instead of choosing courses, you’ll be entered into ‘Clearing’ – the process universities and colleges use to fill any places they still have on their courses

You need to contact the university and ask if they still have vacancies on the course of your choice. If the answer is yes and they are still accepting UCAS applications, then you will need to submit an application through UCAS. The uni will decide what conditions if any they will make. They will also decide if they want to interview you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.