The Student Room Group
It is a concept. How do you know that you actually exist?

(what is wrong with me, I'm in a whole philosophical mood...?)
Reply 2
The Dishwasher
It is a concept. How do you know that you actually exist?

(what is wrong with me, I'm in a whole philosophical mood...?)

you don't i guess. concepts aren't tangible, they're ideas that become established concepts if enough people believe in them yes?
Reply 3
stupid things like this thread shouldnt exist.
Reply 4
AntiLiberal
stupid things like this thread shouldnt exist.

why not? some people have questions they want answering...this is a learning forum after all, and in this case they want to learn about other ppl's views in existence. no harm in it
Reply 5
* thread is not permissive of debate. similar thread already exists. reported for deletion *
Reply 6
priya
why not? some people have questions they want answering...this is a learning forum after all, and in this case they want to learn about other ppl's views in existence. no harm in it

questions can be answered on GC, if people want a discussion then more effort has to be made than the thread starter has provided here.
Reply 7
The concept of existence is forming a part of God and receiving the love He gives us as well as sharing it with others.
No need to seek for any other concept, as this one is the simplest one and one that does not stand any serious criticism.
Reply 8
in the words of aristotle, cogito ergo sum, i think therefore i am. it could be argued that conciousness is the root of existence. as we are aware (in a vague wavy sense), we form our own reality which is our existence. but the problem with this is how can a pencil exist in our reality without it thinking, because it is not even alive.

another argument could be that people only exist if they have a purpose. animals exist because they have a very strong, genetically rooted purpose of survival to reproduce and pass on their traits to the next generation. but we as humans have surpassed the survival stage and we now are in a stage where we have no strong purpose, and this has led a lot of people to question existence and funnily enough its existence!

ok sorry for babbling, but its fun!! :biggrin:
Reply 9
luxsh
in the words of aristotle, cogito ergo sum, i think therefore i am.

sorry to be nitpicky - but wasnt that the words of descartes...?
Reply 10
Twas Descartes. See my sig.
Reply 11
sorry sorry! my mistake! not aristotle, but descartes :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending