Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I want to study AAT but im not confident with numbers or maths. I am a graduate in Accounting and Finance and recieved a 2:2. I am currently working as a payroll admin and resourcer for a recruitment company. I can't progress as i lack the practical side of accounting. I am really bad at mental maths :/ i would really like to study AAT and gain some accounting knowledge. Anyone can pass exams by memorizing so yes i have a good degree but i just dont know what would be the best thing for me... can someone please help ?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Without being mean, is accountancy really the right thing for you if you're not confident with numbers? it's unusual for a graduate to go through AAT, as AAT is quite a low ranking qualification in the hierachy - it's sort of like you doing A-levels again.

Usually post-grad you would start looking to ACCA or CIMA qualifications, depending on what area of accountancy you'd like to do in to (traditional (tax) accountancy or management accountancy). Have you considered these routes?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your reply. well i think I am putting myself down a little. I don't think accounting is a career I will be going into in the future. ACCA and CIMA are probably not something I would want to go in to. I am however interested in jobs such as purchase ledger, data entry, or even assistant accountant. but do I have the capacity to succeed in these roles that's what I am unsure about. My colleagues have encouraged me to do AAT- they said it will help when working in the roles I have mentioned above.

ReputationRep:
    AAT is probably worth doing because it is vocational so it will ensure that you have a set of standardised skills.

Even with a degree, vocational training afterwards can be very helpful for employment.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for that. yeah i think i will have a look at AAT and well if in the end of it I find that this is not the right career path for me ...then at least I have gained a valuable skill Thank you x
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azmellico)
    Thank you for your reply. well i think I am putting myself down a little. I don't think accounting is a career I will be going into in the future. ACCA and CIMA are probably not something I would want to go in to. I am however interested in jobs such as purchase ledger, data entry, or even assistant accountant. but do I have the capacity to succeed in these roles that's what I am unsure about. My colleagues have encouraged me to do AAT- they said it will help when working in the roles I have mentioned above.
    That's fair enough. beautifulbigmacs is right that that it's a very vocational qualification, so will set you in good stead for these sorts of roles. Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.