Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Cheers mate, it's the week beginning of April don't have a date yet. There's only 3 placements so wondering how competitive it is at this stage

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student.OP)
    Cheers mate, it's the week beginning of April don't have a date yet. There's only 3 placements so wondering how competitive it is at this stage
    Likewise, there's only one placement at the OBR! Which university are you at? Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coombsy)
    Likewise, there's only one placement at the OBR! Which university are you at? Good luck.
    Ah you've done well then! Uni of Manchester Economics, you? Good luck as well mate.

ReputationRep:
    Ah you've done well then! Uni of Manchester Economics, you? Good luck as well mate.
    Thanks. We'll see I guess! Economics at UCL.

ReputationRep:
    Interview at the OBR on 15 March (there's only one placement at the OBR).
    I had my interview at 11am and received an offer on the same day at 6pm.

ReputationRep:
    I had my interview at 11am and receivedj an offer on the same day at 6pm.
    Nice one mate! Congrats!

ReputationRep:
    What was the structure of the interview?

ReputationRep:
    What was the structure of the interview?
    Four sections:

Competencies
    Macro questions
    Micro questions
    Explaining something you've been working on recently and found interesting

This may vary between the departments though.

ReputationRep:
    oh that is awesome! Especially knowing there was only 1 place. By the way, do you know how many they interviewed for OBR? They probably did all interviews in 1 day hence a quick turnaround.

ReputationRep:
    Four sections:

Competencies
    Macro questions
    Micro questions

Was GES your only choice for summer internship?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raganosio)
    oh that is awesome! Especially knowing there was only 1 place. By the way, do you know how many they interviewed for OBR? They probably did all interviews in 1 day hence a quick turnaround.
    I think three were interviewed and I was the last. When is your interview?

Was GES your only choice for summer internship?
    Yes. Yourself?

ReputationRep:
    I think three were interviewed and I was the last. When is your interview?

Yes. Yourself?
    I had an interview with DfT, they have 15 openings but not sure how many candidates they'd invited to an interview.

I also applied to the Bank of England.

ReputationRep:
    I had an interview with DfT, they have 15 openings but not sure how many candidates they'd invited to an interview.

I also applied to the Bank of England.
    Okay, how did both the test and interview go? How is the BoE application going?

ReputationRep:
    Okay, how did both the test and interview go? How is the BoE application going?
    I think it went OK but it is hard to tell as my interviewers were not giving out any signs

As for BoE, I already attended the AC and got my feedback. I passed but due to limited spaces they won't be able to offer me an internship.

ReputationRep:
    I think it went OK but it is hard to tell as my interviewers were not giving out any signs

As for BoE, I already attended the AC and got my feedback. I passed but due to limited spaces they won't be able to offer me an internship.
    That's really disappointing if you have passed every stage and because of no fault of your own they can't offer you a place...

ReputationRep:
    That's really disappointing if you have passed every stage and because of no fault of your own they can't offer you a place...
    Yes that is how it feels but I guess there are more students like me who have passed and only a very few places. But I read in the past that summer internships are generally more competitive than grad schemes as naturally grad schemes have more streams whereas summer internship is usually just a stream on its own

You just have to keep going

When does your internship with OBR start?

ReputationRep:
    I have an interview on monday (20th) for the department of international trade! So nervous and only two positions available there, wonder how many people will be interviewed in total!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by P1lulu)
    I have an interview on monday (20th) for the department of international trade! So nervous and only two positions available there, wonder how many people will be interviewed in total!
    Good luck and do not worry!

This is not an assessment centre just a usual interview and everything is done in around an hour's time so you do not leave with a massive headache or so in the end.

Apart from the numerical test and economic concepts not sure if you can prepare for this interview. The questions test your ability to think through an economic problem.

ReputationRep:
    Four sections:

Competencies
    Macro questions
    Micro questions

What were the economics questions?

ReputationRep:
    Yes that is how it feels but I guess there are more students like me who have passed and only a very few places. But I read in the past that summer internships are generally more competitive than grad schemes as naturally grad schemes have more streams whereas summer internship is usually just a stream on its own

You just have to keep going

When does your internship with OBR start?
    That's a good attitude to have!

It's 12 weeks starting at a mutually agreed date TBC. Doesn't look like I'll be having much time off this summer!

(Original post by mrdan)
    What were the economics questions?
    I think in the interest of fairness I shouldn't say; I think they vary across departments anyway. There's alot of info on the GES website and TSR to help you prepare.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.