Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coombsy)
    That's a good attitude to have!

It's 12 weeks starting at a mutually agreed date TBC. Doesn't look like I'll be having much time off this summer!

I think in the interest of fairness I shouldn't say; I think they vary across departments anyway. There's alot of info on the GES website and TSR to help you prepare.
    Fair enough.

Congratulations by the way. You did well since there was only one place and I think the OBR would be a very interesting place to work. They do an important job holding the government to account and Robert Chote is an excellent chairman.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrdan)
    Fair enough.

Congratulations by the way. You did well since there was only one place and I think the OBR would be a very interesting place to work. They do an important job holding the government to account and Robert Chote is an excellent chairman.
    Thanks. Yeah it should be interesting!

When is your interview and for what department?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VictoriaByrne)
    Has anyone received a reply from the Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs? I got an email last Tuesday saying I was successful at sift stage and will be considered for an interview.
    Hi Victoria, have you heard back yet?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! Yeah you would think that: each department interview a certain number of people for each place available. I'm not sure how they allocate people to a department. The OBR was my second choice behind the Treasury but there was a mix up about my eligibility so that may have had a part to play in my allocation too. I got an invite to interview the day after I was told I had been allocated to the OBR. Which choice was the ONS for you? May I ask what you are studying and which university you go to?
    Hi how are your preparations going for OBR? Have you decided your start day?
    I'll be joining DfT - so excited.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raganosio)
    Hi how are your preparations going for OBR? Have you decided your start day?
    I'll be joining DfT - so excited.
    I've accepted the offer - just waiting to be told the next steps. I think I will choose to start w/c 29 May (for 12 weeks).

Congratulations on your offer! Where are you with the next steps? How long is the internship and when are you looking to start?

ReputationRep:
    I've accepted the offer - just waiting to be told the next steps. I think I will choose to start w/c 29 May (for 12 weeks).

Congratulations on your offer! Where are you with the next steps? How long is the internship and when are you looking to start?
    I was told it is 8 weeks that could be extended to 12 weeks and am looking to start a month later than you so that I go back straight to uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raganosio)
    I was told it is 8 weeks that could be extended to 12 weeks and am looking to start a month later than you so that I go back straight to uni.
    cool, I am waiting on my reply, how long did it take for them to get back to you after your interview and did they call you or just send an email when telling you that you had passed?

Also, just out of interest, from which university are you from?

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

Just found this thread. I'll be working at the department for culture, media and sport for 11 weeks (:

if anyone still has interviews, my advice would be to thoroughly research your department and how economics relates to your job description. One of my questions asked me to discuss economic issues within cyber security (specific to the role)!

Also explaining basic market failure economics concepts and thinking of arguments for and against different public policies used to fix them.

good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Londonevans)
    Hi Victoria, have you heard back yet?

1. Hey, did you have your interview yet? If so, did they by any chance let you know when you'd hear back?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.