Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Since my son starting uni in September he has had nothing but extreme disappointment from student finance which now has left him unable to return as they took to long to decide whether he was able to return. I phoned this morning to see and he has been approved even though it's now to late he has been told by the uni he can not return due to not returning when he should of. When my son started uni in sept he also stayed in halls he began like all the rest but was denied student finance right from the start but was only for this year after lots of discussions with student finance he was told that if he gave a personal compelling reason he would get funding for this year so we did everything they asked he was able to start uni and got his first lot of maintenance loan so was able to pay for halls. While this was a very complex situation getting student finance to sort it out for my son he was told by student finance they was not paying out anymore money until his pcr was sorted so after xmas my son had to return home as he was unable to pay for the halls he was staying in. He was hoping to return to uni wen it reopened but because student finance were still refusing to pay anything else he was unable to start again wen everyone else did many phone calls later student finance have said yes he is entitled to finance but will not pay the uni any tuition fees as he has basically been told because he didn't start when he should of he can not return he's now so depressed I'm getting worried. He did keep his tutor up dated about the situation so what can you suggest it's not like he can start greasy in September as they will probably give the same old excuse again and I think it will probably crush any bit of happiness my son may have left is there anything he can do or me and will he still get his maintenance grant as he has to pay back friends and family which he had to borrow from to feed himself while in halls as his first payment of maintain was had to go to halls so he was left with nothing to live of for that time
    • Community Assistant

(Original post by Beccyboo42)
    Since my son starting uni in September he has had nothing but extreme disappointment from student finance which now has left him unable to return as they took to long to decide whether he was able to return. I phoned this morning to see and he has been approved even though it's now to late he has been told by the uni he can not return due to not returning when he should of. When my son started uni in sept he also stayed in halls he began like all the rest but was denied student finance right from the start but was only for this year after lots of discussions with student finance he was told that if he gave a personal compelling reason he would get funding for this year so we did everything they asked he was able to start uni and got his first lot of maintenance loan so was able to pay for halls. While this was a very complex situation getting student finance to sort it out for my son he was told by student finance they was not paying out anymore money until his pcr was sorted so after xmas my son had to return home as he was unable to pay for the halls he was staying in. He was hoping to return to uni wen it reopened but because student finance were still refusing to pay anything else he was unable to start again wen everyone else did many phone calls later student finance have said yes he is entitled to finance but will not pay the uni any tuition fees as he has basically been told because he didn't start when he should of he can not return he's now so depressed I'm getting worried. He did keep his tutor up dated about the situation so what can you suggest it's not like he can start greasy in September as they will probably give the same old excuse again and I think it will probably crush any bit of happiness my son may have left is there anything he can do or me and will he still get his maintenance grant as he has to pay back friends and family which he had to borrow from to feed himself while in halls as his first payment of maintain was had to go to halls so he was left with nothing to live of for that time
    Honestly this is hard to answer without seeing the full details. Best that you call and speak to an advisor

ReputationRep:
    From what you've outlined your son had previous study prior to commencing his course in September which has impacted on his entitlement. SFE determine entitlement as the length of the course (typically 3 or 4 years) plus 1 gift year. You should note that you use a full year of entitlement regardless of the length of time you are in attendance within an academic year, i.e. if he was registered for even 1 month he'd use a year of entitlement.

If a student runs out of entitlement altogether then they are only able to access the basic rate maintenance loan (the non means assessed element) and cannot access Tuition Fee Loans, Grants or Scholarships linked to means assessments.

If a student has used up some entitlement, for example, if your son had 2 years previous study and is now undertaking a new 3 year course then he will only have 1 standard year of entitlement and his extra gift year remaining, meaning he only has 2 years of entitlement. When this happens, SFE will attribute funding to the last two years of his course meaning he has to fund the 1st. The only way to get funding in this situation is to apply for CPR or Compelling Personal Reasons as you mentioned.

Ideally, in this scenario, prospective students can and should apply for CPR well in advance of commencing their studies, so they know up front whether or not they'll be able to access the funding they need before they incur any fee liability or sign up to any tenancies, however, not everyone is aware of this in advance of attending.

I'm guessing at this point, if he wasn't granted CPR, your son has incurred fee liability for at least term 1? I.e. he owes maybe £4,500 to the University for outstanding Tuition fees? Regarding his halls, has he been released from his contract or is he still liable for his accommodation fees?

If his University has withdrawn him then he won't be able to access any funding at all as he won't be a registered student, however, he may be able to access benefits such as JSA or Universal Credit instead if this is the case.

If he CAN or has already returned to University and has incurred Semester 2's fees then he may wish to seek advice in putting an application together for Compelling Personal Reasons and trying again - some students are initially unsuccessful in these applications are it's a very discretionary process - try and find out if there was something specific missing from his CPR application or wording that should have been altered. If he's already incurred fee liability at this stage for Term 2 then he has nothing to lose until Term 3.

If he is unable to return to study this year then he will have to attempt to get 2 years of CPR granted if he wants to return to study in September. If so, I'd start doing this now. Essentially, SFE will need to know why he had to leave his previous course and the circumstances surrounding it, if this was due to health then they'd need evidence of this, supporting statements ideally from someone in a professional post (often a personal tutor, doctor, counsellor, however, sometimes peers are accepted) and usually a letter from the student outlining how their circumstances during that AY didn't allow them to continue on their course of study. Without knowing all the details of this it's hard to advise, however, your son may wish to speak to the Student Wellbeing Service within his university as there may be an Advisor who is able to support him in pulling this application together, but he may be refused if he is no longer registered. In this case he should call SFE and ask what they need from him specifically. He'd need to do this for 2 years of study, either the 2 prior years, or one of the prior years and this one. If he is facing depression which has impacted his ability to return to University then if he has sought medical support he may be able to use this evidence to apply for CPR.

Please note, CPR is highly discretionary and therefore there is no guarantee he will be granted this for either year, but at least if he applies now, before next September, he'd know whether he could return to Uni or not.

I'm sorry I can't provide any further or more specific advice without more information about your son's circumstances, but I really hope you're able to get something sorted. If I were you I'd call SFE and ask about his CPR application if it was declined and if there is anything else he can submit to have this reconsidered?

Best of luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.