Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My son was on a study abroad year but became unwell and has had to intermit until September. SFE have sent him several letters and have paid him funds for the current term even though he has suspended his studies, stating various sums that he has been overpaid but no information as to how these are calculated as they don't seem to add up to the amount he has been paid. We have no idea how overpayments etc are calculated and also whether he is entitled to funding due to suspending his studies due to illness, not sure if he would be entitled to 60 days extra funding?. What sort of evidence would he need to provide confirming that he became ill? He is stressed and anxious and I don't want to cause him further worry. Thanks for any advise.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KM85)
    My son was on a study abroad year but became unwell and has had to intermit until September. SFE have sent him several letters and have paid him funds for the current term even though he has suspended his studies, stating various sums that he has been overpaid but no information as to how these are calculated as they don't seem to add up to the amount he has been paid. We have no idea how overpayments etc are calculated and also whether he is entitled to funding due to suspending his studies due to illness, not sure if he would be entitled to 60 days extra funding?. What sort of evidence would he need to provide confirming that he became ill? He is stressed and anxious and I don't want to cause him further worry. Thanks for any advise.
    The 60 days extra is based on the information his university sent to the SLC so I would suggest speaking to the student support/finance team at his university in the first instance. They should be able to speak to you over the phone if your son is present and gives them consent.

They'll then be able to liaise with SLC on his behalf about the amount of overpayment (and explain to you how it was calculated). SLC are usually very reasonable about the period and amounts of repayment in cases of overpayment - they aren't going to send the bailiffs around.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.