Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...mage-black-man

Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say inherently racist, but biases exist everywhere.

Its true. But its not just Oxford.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Mathemagicien)
      Its true. But its not just Oxford.
      Cambridge?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Bean sprout)
      I wouldn't say inherently racist, but biases exist everywhere.

Are you kidding me?

It is 100% racist, if a number of unauthorised people have been in the halls before, but no action was taken since they weren't black, but first time it's a black person everyone get the guy's photo plastered in their inbox branding him as a security threat.

Dont even for a second give me that BS that this isnt racism.

ReputationRep:
      Well this isnt the first instance in Oxford's history of complicity supporting racism

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Black Hand Path)
      Are you kidding me?

It is 100% racist, if a number of unauthorised people have been in the halls before, but no action was taken since they weren't black, but first time it's a black person everyone get the guy's photo plastered in their inbox branding him as a security threat.

Don't even for a second give me that BS that this isn't racism.
      People act with bias or prejudice the whole time. Without realising it I might assume that a person is less well off than me based on how they are dressed. This could result in me being less friendly or more suspicious towards him or her. But would I consider myself being elitist or anti-poor? No, I don't go out of my own way to target that demographic. And I am convinced it's the same here. Oxford acted with bias without realising it. It's something that they would be disappointed with themselves for in hindsight but it's not something easy to spot you are doing whilst its going on.

Also not to mention there are a lot of details missing. Yes Oxford colleges have quite many unauthorized visitors. But how many of them would be seen entering at 11:30 at night and then leaving early morning with a large sports bag? So think for a minute before jumping to conclusions which conform the most to your opinions.

ReputationRep:
      Most of the people who go to Oxford are rich white people from private schools so it's hardly surprising.

(Original post by queen-bee)
        Cambridge?
        Very few black people here. Mostly privileged rich white students who claim to be oh-so-very-progressive by whining about Trump's victory, but ultimately show an absolutely astounding amount of subtle racism when their guard is down (i.e. after a few drinks, or in private).

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Mathemagicien)
        Very few black people here. Mostly privileged rich white students who claim to be oh-so-very-progressive by whining about Trump's victory, but ultimately show an absolutely astounding amount of subtle racism when their guard is down (i.e. after a few drinks, or in private).
        The left are often the biggest racists. The closest many of them ever get to multi-culturalism are the "Diversity is Our Strength" posters on the walls of the classrooms of the all -white private schools they send their kids to.

But as soon as minorities start moving into their area, they all up and leave ( 'white flight' is a very real thing, and s why for example London is only 45% white british now)

At least with left the right-wing racists, they dont try to pretend they're your friend.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
      Useful resources
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.