Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I will be giving Further Maths in the summer I have already achieved the following in the modules:

AS:
    FP1: 88
    S2:74
    D1:62
    A2:
    S3:71
    M2:67
    FP2:53

Total = 415 UMS (C)

I am definitely going to resit M2, S2 and FP2 and do M3.

The question I have is whether I should do S3 or not. What would you recommend? Would the added workload be worth it. The exam schedule would fall like this:

FM M3: Wednesday 17 May am

FM: S3: Wednesday 24 May am

FM: FP2: Wednesday 7 June am

Chemistry F322: Friday 9 June pm

Chemistry F324: Tuesday 13 June pm

Physics: G484: Thursday 15 June am

FM: M2: Friday 16 June pm

Chemistry F325: Monday 19 June am

Maths C3: Tuesday 20 June pm

Physics: G485: Wednesday 21 June am

Maths C4: Friday 23 June am

FM: S2: Monday 26 June pm

Would people recommend then that I should do S3, sure I would have a whole week that I could dedicate it - or should I instead focus on the other 4 modules, nameyly the 4 other further maths modules A2.

I would be replacing M3 with D1 effectively.

Can S3 go into AS, and S2 into A2?

So AS: fp1 m2 s3
    A2: FP2 S2 M3

Any help would be appreciated. I apologise if this is unclear but I need to sort this out urgently.

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    When your results are worked out it's usually for math the core 1-4 and then the next two highest grades of applied modules , so then for further math it would be your further pure modules and the rest of the applied modules which would be your whole A2 grade. Essentially your As and A2 won't really make a difference because it'll end up as a combined further math a level grade anyway!

ReputationRep:
    I would ask not recommend to sit extra modules as it will take the focus off what you need to study, but if it's something you enjoy and think you can do it, then definitely go for it! It's good to have a challenge, and you can do anything you set your mind to but it really just depends on why your doing it and if you actually want to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snxoxo)
    I would ask not recommend to sit extra modules as it will take the focus off what you need to study, but if it's something you enjoy and think you can do it, then definitely go for it! It's good to have a challenge, and you can do anything you set your mind to but it really just depends on why your doing it and if you actually want to
    Thank you for your reply.

I have definitely got to sit S2 M2 M3 FP3 and what I am striving for is at least 90 in all the modules.

I am unsure if am able to do it, it seems like a lot of work to do - which I don't mind doing but the advantages are that I would have a whole week dedicated to 1 exam after M3, and that it could help me get an A star in FM.

ReputationRep:
    I personally, and this is not advice suited to everyone, would sit it. I got A*s in maths and further maths last year but there was a very difficult exam for AQA M3 which left me panicked in the exam, and getting a very bad score. It was really helpful to know that I had an extra module to help me. Have you talked to your teachers about it? They will know your ability much better and so can probably give you better advice on this matter. But would it be so hard to resit S3 given you have already learned the content?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stepmaths)
    I personally, and this is not advice suited to everyone, would sit it. I got A*s in maths and further maths last year but there was a very difficult exam for AQA M3 which left me panicked in the exam, and getting a very bad score. It was really helpful to know that I had an extra module to help me. Have you talked to your teachers about it? They will know your ability much better and so can probably give you better advice on this matter. But would it be so hard to resit S3 given you have already learned the content?
    Thanks for the reply.

Congrats on your results.

I would have 4 shots at the further maths A* with the S2 M2 M3 FP2 modules, sitting the S3 would give me 5.

I am a private candidate, so I suppose my past marks are the only indicator of my previous ability. I am unsure because the S3 paper last year, was easier relative to the one the year before.

I need to sort this out by Tuesday:

The advs:
    -Greater chance of A star in FM
    -1 exam in a week (more time to focus)

The disadvs:
    -Extra cost of sitting exam (not too important)
    -Reduced time to spend on other modules
    -Lack of time

The issue that I have is that if S3 was among the clutter of exams, I would instantly elect not to do it.

If I leave S3 then for the two banked modules for Further Maths I would be on an average of 79.5 UMS, provided I got 90 in 3 out of S2 M2 M3 FP2 I would be good for the A star.

As you rightly said, if I screwed up on M3/FP2 I would be in a big predicament.

Having all this info, would you still say to do it? I don't have anyone else to ask but here :/

I really appreciate your response.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellanlutz)
    Thanks for the reply.

Congrats on your results.

I would have 4 shots at the further maths A* with the S2 M2 M3 FP2 modules, sitting the S3 would give me 5.

I am a private candidate, so I suppose my past marks are the only indicator of my previous ability. I am unsure because the S3 paper last year, was easier relative to the one the year before.

I need to sort this out by Tuesday:

The advs:
    -Greater chance of A star in FM
    -1 exam in a week (more time to focus)

The disadvs:
    -Extra cost of sitting exam (not too important)
    -Reduced time to spend on other modules
    -Lack of time

The issue that I have is that if S3 was among the clutter of exams, I would instantly elect not to do it.

If I leave S3 then for the two banked modules for Further Maths I would be on an average of 79.5 UMS, provided I got 90 in 3 out of S2 M2 M3 FP2 I would be good for the A star.

As you rightly said, if I screwed up on M3/FP2 I would be in a big predicament.

Having all this info, would you still say to do it? I don't have anyone else to ask but here :/

I really appreciate your response.
    Are you retaking any other A-Levels and do you have a university palcement dependent on an A* in FM?
    If you are not retaking anything else and cost is not a big issue then yes I would personally take it if I was you, it won't take you too long to relearn and you can just have it as a bit of a backup, it's placement in your timetable is also ideal.
    I would learn it, but focus more on your other modules when revising if you feel more confident your A* will come from them, and then if M3 goes badly revise a lot in that week before the exam and if M3 goes well then maybe slack off the revision a little and prioritise other subjects.
    Hope that helps! In the end, both taking it and not are perfectly viable options and you won't be majorly disadvantaged either way.

ReputationRep:
    This seems like excellent advice.

Yes and no to your first questions.

Thank you for your help, I will give it some more thought over the weekend.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.