Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please help me interpret the graphs below, just say everything you know about them- overall description ,trends, conclusions etc. :
    Graph 1: https://d28wbuch0jlv7v.cloudfront.ne...ity_rate_n.jpg
    Graph 2:
    https://ourworldindata.org/wp-conten...nce-1770-1.png
    Graph 3 (I need a bit more explanation with this): http://www.who.int/gho/immunization/...zation_005.jpg

I know I've asked this before but I replied too late and now I have two other graphs..
    I appreciate lots any help!!

ReputationRep:
    Do you know how to read a graph?

ReputationRep:
    Well I do haha But like I want somebody to interpret these for me so I can get used to the terminology since my first language is not English..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ciupi97)
    Well I do haha But like I want somebody to interpret these for me so I can get used to the terminology since my first language is not English..
    This isn't the English board, and your English seems native to me... What's your first language?

Some useful terms:

- Decline
    - Increase
    - Steady
    - Fluctuate (continuously change between slight decline and slight increase).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pessimisterious)
    This isn't the English board, and your English seems native to me... What's your first language?

Some useful terms:

- Decline
    - Increase
    - Steady
    - Fluctuate (continuously change between slight decline and slight increase).
    Well I wouldn't lie about my language (it is Romanian), only asked for help...

ReputationRep:
    Well I wouldn't lie about my language (it is Romanian), only asked for help...
    And help I did give!

ReputationRep:
    Graph 1:
    Shows a consistent decline in child mortality with 2012 showing the lowest rate globally, the region with the steepest decline, showing the best improvement being North Africa and the Middle-East from 1973 to 1989.

Graph 2:
    Shows gradual improvement in life expectancy across the globe with a much faster growth rate globally post world-war 2 (1940s period).
    Since about 1870s the only time that life expectancy had a significant decline was in Africa around 2000, potentially because of civil war? Famine/Drought (or whatever reason).

Graph 3:
    Shows large improvements and focus on immunisation across the globe from 1983, peaking at 1989. Post 1990s, immunisation has showed mixed efforts, with more developed continents such as Europe or Americas showing a more consistent level of immunisation, (probably a good link to also the fact child mortality rate started to decline massively here).
    But the likes of Africa, having under performed largely by a good 20% compared the next worst region probably due to lack of science and technology and lack of aid from more developed areas of the globe.
    In 2015 however large improvements across the globe with a more consistent ~80% coverage in all regions.

This is how I'd interpret it.
    But hope it helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigBadAsh)
    Graph 1:
    Shows a consistent decline in child mortality with 2012 showing the lowest rate globally, the region with the steepest decline, showing the best improvement being North Africa and the Middle-East from 1973 to 1989.

Graph 2:
    Shows gradual improvement in life expectancy across the globe with a much faster growth rate globally post world-war 2 (1940s period).
    Since about 1870s the only time that life expectancy had a significant decline was in Africa around 2000, potentially because of civil war? Famine/Drought (or whatever reason).

Graph 3:
    Shows large improvements and focus on immunisation across the globe from 1983, peaking at 1989. Post 1990s, immunisation has showed mixed efforts, with more developed continents such as Europe or Americas showing a more consistent level of immunisation, (probably a good link to also the fact child mortality rate started to decline massively here).
    But the likes of Africa, having under performed largely by a good 20% compared the next worst region probably due to lack of science and technology and lack of aid from more developed areas of the globe.
    In 2015 however large improvements across the globe with a more consistent ~80% coverage in all regions.

This is how I'd interpret it.
    But hope it helps!
    Thank you very much!

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Thank you so much again for your help I really appreciate the time you took to describe these graphs! I started using your description for one graph and made some annotations with arrows: Could you please tell me if they are all correct as I added some more information?
    Also I was unsure about what you meant by 'Africa, having under performed largely by a good 20% compared the next worst region' as the next worse one is South East Asia, and I don't seem to see where there is a difference of 20% apart from around 1994-1997. So do you mean that the most Africa has underperformed in all the years next to the worst region is 20%?
    Name:  Screen Shot 2017-02-11 at 07.25.24.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  416.8 KB

Lastly, could you please tell me one thing about Graph 1 (Child Mortality one) - what would you say about the fact that some (e.g. Europe Central Asia) do not have a full line- is it simply because they did not have data for child mortality in those regions? (link again https://d28wbuch0jlv7v.cloudfront.ne...ity_rate_n.jpg )

Thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Thank you so much again for your help I really appreciate the time you took to describe these graphs! I started using your description for one graph and made some annotations with arrows: Could you please tell me if they are all correct as I added some more information?
    Also I was unsure about what you meant by 'Africa, having under performed largely by a good 20% compared the next worst region' as the next worse one is South East Asia, and I don't seem to see where there is a difference of 20% apart from around 1994-1997. So do you mean that the most Africa has underperformed in all the years next to the worst region is 20%?
    Name:  Screen Shot 2017-02-11 at 07.25.24.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  416.8 KB

Lastly, could you please tell me one thing about Graph 1 (Child Mortality one) - what would you say about the fact that some (e.g. Europe Central Asia) do not have a full line- is it simply because they did not have data for child mortality in those regions? (link again https://d28wbuch0jlv7v.cloudfront.ne...ity_rate_n.jpg )

Thank you!!
    Hi sorry, I've just seen this!

But yes, you've annotated them really well, better than my points really and yes that's exactly what I meant :lol:

But you're absolutely correct.
    Clearly either Data was not available in those regions or that UNICEF (who is stated as the source) couldn't find any data for those regions in those areas.
    Europe went through dynamic and consistent change in the past centuries, government shifts and many other factors could possibly the reason why.

East Asia too with countries like Japan who used to be very internal, didn't become involved with globalisation until very recently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigBadAsh)
    Hi sorry, I've just seen this!

But yes, you've annotated them really well, better than my points really and yes that's exactly what I meant :lol:

But you're absolutely correct.
    Clearly either Data was not available in those regions or that UNICEF (who is stated as the source) couldn't find any data for those regions in those areas.
    Europe went through dynamic and consistent change in the past centuries, government shifts and many other factors could possibly the reason why.

East Asia too with countries like Japan who used to be very internal, didn't become involved with globalisation until very recently.
    Thanks a lot!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.