Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Name:  IMG_20170210_144418.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  458.1 KB
    I'm stuck at part c.. I just looked at the solution and it used sin²x + cos²x = 1 to solve it but I don't understand why my way is giving the wrong answer!! I found the length of the line using point C which gives the radius and the center is (0,0) --> (x)² + (y)² = 57/4

The correct answer is (x/4)² + (y/3)² =1 .. Can someone pls tell me where I went wrong, thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I did one like this the other day

What you have to do is make the x equation cos(t)= and the y equation sin(t)=.
    So cos(t)= (x/4) and sin(t)= (y/3)
    So then you have sin and cos!

Next you will need to square them, because we will need to make an equation involving x and y, and we know this is an equation of a circle. I usually just assume that if you have sin and cos, you will be using that c2 trig identity.

So you will have cos^2(t) = (x/4)^2 and sin^2(t) = (y/3)^2
    Then - in the trig equation - you can replace the cos^2 and the sin^2 with the x and y fractions.

I think the logic of your way does make sense - did you calculate the length of the line from point c to the centre? You might want to double check your calculation and your answer for part B

I hope this helped!
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pondsteps)
    I'm stuck at part c.. I just looked at the solution and it used sin²x + cos²x = 1 to solve it but I don't understand why my way is giving the wrong answer!! I found the length of the line using point C which gives the radius and the center is (0,0) --> (x)² + (y)² = 57/4

The correct answer is (x/4)² + (y/3)² =1 .. Can someone pls tell me where I went wrong, thanks
    You went wrong because this is not a circle, it's an ellipse.

Circles are in the parametric form x=a\cos(t) + g\quad y=a\sin(t) + h, \quad t\in [0,2\pi), \quad \forall a, g ,h \in \mathbb{R} where the centre is (g,h) and the radius is a. An ellipse is defined in such a way where the coefficients of \cos(t) and \sin(t) are NOT the same.

So since it is an ellipse and not a circle, the way you have defined the equation requires every point to be equidistant from the centre point which is the definition of a circle, and in your case your distance of every point was the length from O to C - and this is not the case for any ellipse as all the points are not equidistant from the centre..

ReputationRep:
    a lot of these rely on the identity

sin2Θ+ cos2Θ ≡ 1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    You went wrong because this is not a circle, it's an ellipse.

Circles are in the parametric form x=a\cos(t) + g\quad y=a\sin(t) + h, \quad t\in [0,2\pi), \quad \forall a, g ,h \in \mathbb{R} where the centre is (g,h) and the radius is a. An ellipse is defined in such a way where the coefficients of \cos(t) and \sin(t) are NOT the same.

So since it is an ellipse and not a circle, the way you have defined the equation requires every point to be equidistant from the centre point which is the definition of a circle, and in your case your distance of every point was the length from O to C - and this is not the case for any ellipse as all the points are not equidistant from the centre..
    Ohhhh omg thank u so much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Martha~)
    Hey! I did one like this the other day

What you have to do is make the x equation cos(t)= and the y equation sin(t)=.
    So cos(t)= (x/4) and sin(t)= (y/3)
    So then you have sin and cos!

Next you will need to square them, because we will need to make an equation involving x and y, and we know this is an equation of a circle. I usually just assume that if you have sin and cos, you will be using that c2 trig identity.

So you will have cos^2(t) = (x/4)^2 and sin^2(t) = (y/3)^2
    Then - in the trig equation - you can replace the cos^2 and the sin^2 with the x and y fractions.

I think the logic of your way does make sense - did you calculate the length of the line from point c to the centre? You might want to double check your calculation and your answer for part B

I hope this helped!
    Thanks a bunch!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    a lot of these rely on the identity

sin2Θ+ cos2Θ ≡ 1
    Thank u!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.