Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Where will the UK be in 40-50 years time? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Now that immigration/racial/culture issues are getting increasingly high, and Britain's still at pretty much a divide politically after Brexit, what's going to happen to the UK in the future?

E.g.
    Will Christianity be a minority religion and Islam take over?

or will the UK be under the shape of Right Wing ideologies?

ReputationRep:
    a radioactive wasteland. and then there will be bad bits as well.

ReputationRep:
    I can just see extreme right wingers/the Alt-right everywhere. In terms ignore religion,I think Christianity will still hold its place in this country

Even by 2100, Muslims would be at most 1/3rd of the UK population. I doubt Islam will "take over" within 50 years. They will only be between 10-15% of the population by 2050.

Agnostics/atheists will be tied for 1st place with Christianity, and Islam would be some distance behind both of them still.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Google22)
      Now that immigration/racial/culture issues are getting increasingly high, and Britain's still at pretty much a divide politically after Brexit, what's going to happen to the UK in the future?

E.g.

LMAO threeads like this make me laugh.

You do realise that the UK is still 90% White, right?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Black Hand Path)

You do realise that the UK is still 90% White British, right?
      No, it is 83%

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by RedManc)
      No, it is 83%
      I was rounding. Point still stands.

ReputationRep:
      40 years from now? The average Brit will weigh 22 stone and will be on multiple medications to counter the self-inflicted lifestyle diseases that come with excessive calorie consumption and an idle lifestyle.

To me, the threat to our wellbeing posed by our current lifestyles is a far greater concern for our future than the number of foreigners in the UK.

You do realise that the UK is still 90% White, right?
        He's talking about the future, not the present. The non-white population in the UK will be almost 30% by 2050, i.e. in 33 years' time, which is quite an increase from today's 13%.

You are arguing about the wrong thing. Its irrefutable that white people will eventually become a minority in the UK. However, the real question is why the **** does that matter? Why should we care? We're all humans.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Mathemagicien)
        He's talking about the future, not the present. The non-white population in the UK will be almost 30% by 2050, i.e. in 33 years' time, which is quite an increase from today's 17%..
        Source?

You do know that 93% of statistics are made up on the spot, right

Its irrefutable that white people will eventually become a minority in the UK.
        That's completely delusional. That's never happened in any country anywhere, and people are not just going to sit idly by whilst they become minorities in their own country.

Source?

You do know that 93% of statistics are made up on the spot, right
          http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014...n_5271248.html

That's completely delusional. That's never happened in any country anywhere, and people are not just going to sit idly by whilst they become minorities in their own country.
          Why? In the 1970s, the US was roughly 87% white, just like the UK is now. Today, whites are a minority of births. So it is inevitable the US will become minority white. And the UK is only decades behind the US.

"Sit idly by"? There is nothing wrong in becoming a minority. The UK does not "belong" to the "white race".

ReputationRep:
          No, it is 83%
          Do you mean White or "White British"? The former was 87% at the last census, which as far as I'm aware are the most recent hard stats.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by anarchism101)
          Do you mean White or "White British"? The former was 87% at the last census, which as far as I'm aware are the most recent hard stats.

Posted from TSR Mobile
          You're probably right. I made up the figures.

ReputationRep:
          You're probably right. I made up the figures.
          You were busy then??

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by fleky6910)
          You were busy then??
          Yeah

ReputationRep:
          Yeah

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by fleky6910)

ReputationRep:
          http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014...n_5271248.html

Why? In the 1970s, the US was roughly 87% white, just like the UK is now. Today, whites are a minority of births. So it is inevitable the US will become minority white. And the UK is only decades behind the US.

"Sit idly by"? There is nothing wrong in becoming a minority. The UK does not "belong" to the "white race".
          My biggest worry with British citizens becoming a minority is what is replacing a lot of people. Mainly Islam. Christianity has a lot of horrible social attitudes as well but it's very reformed as a religion by this stage. Whereas Islam hasn't reformed well as a religion to the modern day, leaving a lot of the archaic rules of Islam as a normality for many more in the UK, which isn't ideal.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Google22)
          Are they? We're probably more tolerant now than we've been over the generations. Immigration remains high and creates some tensions, but we're hardly troubled by racism any more than any other society - and it's a lot less of an issue than it was in the past.

The same goes for political division. Giving people binary, emotive choices tends to be divisive, but it's not like we haven't been politically divided before. Things were probably starker in the 1980s than they are now.

We're increasingly a country of minority religions: even though figures show we are still a predominantly Christian country, you really have to wonder when the last time many of these people saw the inside of a church, never mind actually belonging to one or agreeing with its doctrine.

Islam retains a greater hold on its adherents, but equally there are plenty of token Muslims in this country - and I suspect that trend will continue as first and second generation immigrants die off. But let's not forget: there's not a great many Muslims in Britain.

Bluntly, Muslims form 5% of the UK population. You'd have to be pretty off your rocker to suggest an Islamic Britain is around the corner.

Depends where you draw the line between centre-right and right-wing.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by L i b)
          Bluntly, Muslims form 5% of the UK population. You'd have to be pretty off your rocker to suggest an Islamic Britain is around the corner.
          5% seems a small percentage, sure, but it is the rate of population growth and its speed that matters.

In ten years the Muslim population has almost doubled. Between the 2001 and 2011 censuses.

More it has a very young age profile, with very high birth rates and a relatively small proportion of elderly people.

An Islamic Britain is not around the corner but it will not be long before it starts to have a societal impact disproportionate to its numbers.

Look at the tensions we are encountering with just one in twenty of us Muslims.

What will happen when they become one in ten, then one in five?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
        Useful resources
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.