Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Would you rather

(A)
    Have cheap rent per calendar month, meaning a lot more money in your bank account for any and everything you could possibly think or want to buy including necessities, at the expense of having poor quality/looking accommodation (let's say for example, the flat is very small and fairly unmodernised in terms of what it could be, but otherwise naturally has all necessities needed to live life comfortably).

Or

(B)
    Would you rather pay higher rent for much better standard/looking accommodation, at the expense of a lot less money in your pocket/bank account but are a lot more happy about how the flat looks and how well it is modernised.
    • Very Important Poster

Depends what my priorities were but in the past i have always preferred somewhere that is safe, comfortable and secure. B I think.

ReputationRep:
    I'd prefer to buy and make myself rich instead of another person burning money away. I done my degree part-time and with the £30k plus interest I saved I bought a flat in London

ReputationRep:
    a) i dont mind putting up with slightly below par conditions for a couple years, especially if trying to save for a deposit or whatever. if I had a job were i was out of the house for many hours at a time then this would further convince me to go for option a).

ReputationRep:
    The viability of living in premium accommodation completely depends on your expendable income and the price difference between decent and average accommodation.
    Compare a situation where the price difference is £200 per month and you have only less than £200 of expendable income versus having £800 of expendable income per month.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the amount of money I actually had coming in. For example I have a student house next year for £95 per week. I personally think that's pretty cheap but it's also good quality. Now if I only had £500 coming in every month that'd leave me around £100 to spare every month. I could find a slightly cheaper house, maybe around £70-80 per week, which might leave me with £200 per month. That's a 100% increase. But let's say I was bringing in £2000 per month. All of a suddent that extra £100 isn't really all that important.

Having expensive rent when you can't afford it isn't ideal but skimping out and having an awful place when you can afford something slightly better is also no ideal. So I pick option C, I'd rather live within my means at the time. If that is relying soley on student loan for example then the more money I can save the better. In fact this applies in general but there is of course a limit which is personal to everyone.

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather pay more for good quality but not excessively, I'd pay maybe just over my budget if I felt it was worth it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ignoring accommodation, there is a certain standard of living I like to enjoy. Basically, I like to go on holiday a couple of times a year and go out whenever I want. Other than that, I don't really buy much. I don't spend on clothes or technology or anything really. At that point, housing becomes a priority.

I'm saving hard with a view to buy in a few years time. I plan to borrow as much as a bank will lend me.

ReputationRep:
    A - I'd prefer to have more spending money to do things I enjoy, go on holidays etc

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.