The Student Room Group

Essex or Aston? Political Economics vs. Politics and Economics

I've received offers from the University of Essex (Political Economics), Reading (Politics and Economics), Aston (Politics and Economics) and Manchester Metropolitan (Economics/Politics).

I know that the business school at Aston is prestigious and great for employment, however after attending an interview at their campus, I've been strongly persuaded into going to Essex, because of their very successful politics department and student reviews from the university itself. My interest at university is the political aspect of the wider economy (macroeconomics - but in the context of politics).

Aston and Reading have both offered BBB offers if I accept them as my first choice, Essex have offered me BBB after the interview and Manchester Metropolitan have offered me BCC. As a result, my initial judgement was to accept Essex as my first choice and Manchester Metropolitan as my insurance, but I just want to ask which would you argue to be the best decision?

Thank you in advance.
Original post by wastedv
I've received offers from the University of Essex (Political Economics), Reading (Politics and Economics), Aston (Politics and Economics) and Manchester Metropolitan (Economics/Politics).

I know that the business school at Aston is prestigious and great for employment, however after attending an interview at their campus, I've been strongly persuaded into going to Essex, because of their very successful politics department and student reviews from the university itself. My interest at university is the political aspect of the wider economy (macroeconomics - but in the context of politics).

Aston and Reading have both offered BBB offers if I accept them as my first choice, Essex have offered me BBB after the interview and Manchester Metropolitan have offered me BCC. As a result, my initial judgement was to accept Essex as my first choice and Manchester Metropolitan as my insurance, but I just want to ask which would you argue to be the best decision?

Thank you in advance.

What are your predictions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
What are your predictions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My predicted grades were BCC, despite my attempts to try and alter them. The problem is I achieved a D in both units of politics last year which I am now resitting, my personal statement was very well developed and it helped to push me into receiving offers. The problem is I am very well read on course content but not very good at exams, but that's another issue.
Reply 3
Essex imho. Reasons: Very active politics and economics departments with some selling points. The politics department distinguishes itself with modules in evidence based (data) policy analysis. Economics (European monetary policy, behavioral econ, econometrics) is well regarded and higher ranked than Aston. Essex econ has produced a number of well known economists over the years. Essex has also larger graduate programmes in both departments.
Original post by wastedv
My predicted grades were BCC, despite my attempts to try and alter them. The problem is I achieved a D in both units of politics last year which I am now resitting, my personal statement was very well developed and it helped to push me into receiving offers. The problem is I am very well read on course content but not very good at exams, but that's another issue.

I would also suggest Essex, a university I always associate with politics. In addition, the course itself looks more coherent than the others which are simply amalgamations of the separate disciplines. Wherever you go I would strongly advise trying to get on the placement year in order to get a step ahead in the jobs market.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wastedv

Thank you in advance.

Hi,

You seem to have your heart set on Essex. But if you have any extra questions about Aston or Birmingham as a student city just give me a nudge.

Josh

Quick Reply