Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Current Job doesn't provide for enough growth Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi there. First of all, sorry, I am not from UK, but this forum is awesome and I regularly read it, so I decided to seek help here.

I am a Pakistani national and a finance professional working in Dubai, UAE. I have ACCA certification along with a bachelors degree from UK university through distance learning. I am currently working in a large multinational organization and over here, lots of people work together on tiny things. Each person/team only works upon a certain part of income statement, hence, you get only very limited and narrow experience. Which means, very limited growth. Now Asian labor is very abundant in supply here and therefore low in demand, which means much lower salaries.

My role however, still requires me to rotate back and forth between a few sub departments in accounts section (different departmental invoicing, petty cash,some vendor reconciliations) therefore, I still get at least a bit more variation than most people, but overall there's not much growth in terms of scope of work nor in salaries. Due to high supply, low demand thing and bad state of overall economy, it's hard to switch jobs at the moment. So I was wondering what could I do in order to grow as a finance professional while staying in this job, so I can be more suited to any future job changes, even though the job itself doesn't allow much growth.

Thanks for reading.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sam3218)
    Hi there. First of all, sorry, I am not from UK, but this forum is awesome and I regularly read it, so I decided to seek help here.

I am a Pakistani national and a finance professional working in Dubai, UAE. I have ACCA certification along with a bachelors degree from UK university through distance learning. I am currently working in a large multinational organization and over here, lots of people work together on tiny things. Each person/team only works upon a certain part of income statement, hence, you get only very limited and narrow experience. Which means, very limited growth. Now Asian labor is very abundant in supply here and therefore low in demand, which means much lower salaries.

My role however, still requires me to rotate back and forth between a few sub departments in accounts section (different departmental invoicing, petty cash,some vendor reconciliations) therefore, I still get at least a bit more variation than most people, but overall there's not much growth in terms of scope of work nor in salaries. Due to high supply, low demand thing and bad state of overall economy, it's hard to switch jobs at the moment. So I was wondering what could I do in order to grow as a finance professional while staying in this job, so I can be more suited to any future job changes, even though the job itself doesn't allow much growth.

Thanks for reading.
    Growth as in personal growth (i.e. promotions)? If your job doesn't really allow much movement or future growth then it may be time to find a new job. You can always speak to your manager if you have any concerns though. But at the end of the day if you do want to increase your responsibilities and your job doesn't allow it then your only option really is to find another job.

ReputationRep:
    Is relocating possible for you if so I highly recommend coming to the UK for work you have the right skills and qualifications to embrake on a fulfilling accounting career. If you don't mind me asking how old are you? ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zeudi_789)
    Is relocating possible for you if so I highly recommend coming to the UK for work you have the right skills and qualifications to embrake on a fulfilling accounting career. If you don't mind me asking how old are you? ?
    thanks for taking the time to respond.I don't think coming to UK is an option for me due to strict immigration requirements. I am 24 right now. Moreover, relocation to pretty much anywhere seems unlikely at the moment. I already have an immigration application in the pipeline, but the chances are very bleak.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    Growth as in personal growth (i.e. promotions)? If your job doesn't really allow much movement or future growth then it may be time to find a new job. You can always speak to your manager if you have any concerns though. But at the end of the day if you do want to increase your responsibilities and your job doesn't allow it then your only option really is to find another job.
    thanks for taking the time to respond, both of you.

growth as in personal growth both pay wise and work scope wise (like I want to be involved in the higher level financial reporting rather than calculation of some costs and invoicing clients). As I said, I do plan to change jobs in an year or two. I do agree that changing jobs is the most suitable option in the near future, but I also want to improve my skills so that I am in a better position to bargain etc for the next job. In other words, I want to be able to do financial reporting, accounts finalization, I did perform these tasks in my previous company though, and still have knowledge and skill to do that for small sized entities.

ReputationRep:
    Hi anyone?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.