Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Vegans, would you eat lab grown meat? Watch

ReputationRep:
    In the future I'd be very surprised if we still ate animals, instead with IVM (in vitro meat) grown from cultivated muscle cells from live and healthy and animals a much more ethical alternative. To start with of course it would be expensive but ignoring the cost, would you, on moral/religious grounds, object to eating 100% real, genetic animal meat grown in a lab but which never came from a slaughtered living organism?

In my mind it's no worse than Quorn or other alternatives but I get the feeling people would still object

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Meat still isn't particularly healthy. I'd probably eat it sparingly on special occasions or something. Also, having never eaten meat, I'm not sure my digestive tract has got the right enzymes - I might well get an upset stomach.

I wouldn't have any ethical concerns, though.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't. Lab meat is still meat. I don't eat meat because I want to be healthy. Animal protein causes cancers, animal fat causes heart disease.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I would, but would support those that do if it means reducing the number of animals that are used in the meat industry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No, my veganism is based on non-interference with animals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    Meat still isn't particularly healthy.
    We are omnivores -___-

May as well tell a grizzly that fish is bad for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMightyAugur)
    In the future I'd be very surprised if we still ate animals, instead with IVM (in vitro meat) grown from cultivated muscle cells from live and healthy and animals a much more ethical alternative.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Eww no. If that happens, I'll grab a fork and hunt it myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    We are omnivores -___-

May as well tell a grizzly that fish is bad for them.
    Meat eating is associated with higher rates of cancer and heart disease, time and time again.

ReputationRep:
    Meat eating is associated with higher rates of cancer and heart disease, time and time again.
    But isn't that due to the chemicals/preservatives that are put in the meat and the foods given to the livestock, rather than the meat itself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladymusiclover)
    But isn't that due to the chemicals/preservatives that are put in the meat and the foods given to the livestock, rather than the meat itself?
    In part. It's also because meat contains quite a bit of fat. You could probably modify the fat content of lab-grown meat, but I can't see lab-grown meat being treated with fewer chemicals than conventional meat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redefine)
    No, my veganism is based on non-interference with animals.
    In which case shouldn't you object to wildlife reserves, zoos and or selective breeding? The cells are cultivated painlessly and without any kind of suffering

I'm not objecting to your views by any means, just trying to understand them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMightyAugur)
    In which case shouldn't you object to wildlife reserves, zoos and or selective breeding? The cells are cultivated painlessly and without any kind of suffering

I'm not objecting to your views by any means, just trying to understand them.
    yes i object to all of those, however wildlife reserves are a necessary evil because our societal infrastructure obstructs so much with their natural behaviour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redefine)
    yes i object to all of those, however wildlife reserves are a necessary evil because our societal infrastructure obstructs so much with their natural behaviour.
    Fair enough. I applaud your convictions.

I agree in an ideal world we shouldn't interfere with other ecosystems at all but humans are an evil species when it comes to other life, and I do think evil is the right word. But as you say, as the world is, those institutions are necessary to protect species

Hopefully, one day they won't be

I doubt it though

ReputationRep:
    correlation =/= causation.

And you know that.

ReputationRep:
    Ugh, asked my vegan ex-boyfriend this a while ago.

He said no, because it was all artificial and big pharma is poisoning people and GMOs cause cancer and such and such... :unimpressed::unimpressed:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatnipGlows)
    big pharma is poisoning people and GMOs cause cancer and such and such... :unimpressed::unimpressed:
    Evidence? Anything? Or just speculation, anecdote and supposition with no facts to back it up?

What ridiculous hysterical claims.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    Evidence? Anything? Or just speculation, anecdote and supposition with no facts to back it up?
    Absolutely no evidence at all. The most I ever got out of him was some super suspicious youtube links.. No thanks :ciao:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a vegan but I'm a vegetarian. I think I would, once I got over the weirdness of eating meat not from an animal. Since it doesn't involve killing or harming an animal I don't see why other vegans and vegetarians would be against it, except for if their reasons for not eating meat are not to do with this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    correlation =/= causation.

And you know that.
    Correlation doesn't always imply causation, but when we have several different mechanisms by which meat-eating could cause heart disease and cancer, it seems like a reasonable conclusion in this case.

Otherwise, what confounding factors would you blame for the correlation - that is, what third factors do you think are associated with heart disease, cancer, and meat eating that might cause them to vary directly? Or do you mean to suggest that having heart disease or cancer predisposes meat-eating?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatnipGlows)
    Ugh, asked my vegan ex-boyfriend this a while ago.

He said no, because it was all artificial and big pharma is poisoning people and GMOs cause cancer and such and such... :unimpressed::unimpressed:
    What a load of garbage. I'd like you to know that not all vegans believe that sort of nonsense, myself included.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.