The Student Room Group

MBA Vs MSc in Business Management.

Hey guys,

I wanted to apply for an MBA program however I was adviced by the admission team after sending in my CV that irrespective of my previous work experience (placements, part time jobs and online business) I still did not meet the minimum work experience requirement for the MBA program. However i was told to apply for the MSc Business Management (Entrepreneurship) as the curriculum is very similar but does not have the work experience required to do it.

My question now is do you guys think I should wait until i've gotten the relevant work experience or i'm I fine proceeding with an MSc in BM. I'm graduating this June (Construction Project Management) and I'd like to get it out of the way while I have the finances and i'm still motivated to do it. I also noticed that the tuition for an MBA is almost twice as much so I definitely don't mind an MSc in BM however, I also know MBA's are highly regarded and I don't want to apply for an MSc in BM, do it, and feel that I should have waited.

Do you think how strong my degree is regarded is solely based on the Uni? in which case I can proceed with an MSc in BM if it's from a good uni? I'm applying to UCL, Imperial and Oxford Brookes as i'm based in London. I'm still to look at other unis.

p.s i'm also planning on working abroad so other than the top tier universities like Oxford and Cambridge etc I don't know how much importance I should place on this if people I work with/for might not even know the difference between Imperial, Oxford Brookes and a lower tier uni for example.

Anyways, sorry for the lengthy question and any advice is truly appreciated! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
First of all you havent said what your future aspirations are.

Secondly its a known fact but a lot of students chose to ignore this over other reason, that and MBA is ONLY worth it if done from the top 20-30 business schools in the world. Anything else you might as well burn your money.

- The reason MBA in the top unis is hard to get into because of the WE requirement ( which you need atleast 3/4 years of if not more) and the much higher cost. If you are planning to do in the UK ( depending on the Industry you want to work in) London Business school, Oxbridge, Manchester, Warwick, Cass and Cranfield are the only ones that have an international reputation as well.

- So if you want to work in Investment Banking or Top tier Consulting then LBS or Cass is your best bet
- If you want to work in Pharma then Cambridge is known for those recruiters

To study at LBS which is the 3rd ranked ( i think in the world) the course fee is £70,000... The course itself may not have content different from say Manchester ( £40,000) but to pay for a top MBA you are essentially paying to network and get future job opportunities.

You have to carefully think what do you want to do in your career and if you want to make a switch to a diff industry then only and MBA is worth it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending