What Are The Best Revision Books For French???? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
im doing my french gcse next year and i need a revision guide for the higher tier. Unfortunately i cant seem to find any decent revision guide

ANYONE KNOW A GOOD BOOK?
monkiwrensh
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
im doing my french gcse next year and i need a revision guide for the higher tier. Unfortunately i cant seem to find any decent revision guide

ANYONE KNOW A GOOD BOOK?
I didnt find the CGP Revision Guide for French any good so in my opinion Id stay clear of that.
To be honest, I couldnt find any decnent french revision guides. I was shocked when I got an A in French because I basically revised from my exercise books.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by monkiwrensh)
I didnt find the CGP Revision Guide for French any good so in my opinion Id stay clear of that.
To be honest, I couldnt find any decnent french revision guides. I was shocked when I got an A in French because I basically revised from my exercise books.
A is gooooood,my teacher wnt move me down even though i think im positively **** at french, i have no notes in my exercise book

thats why im panicking.....................
monkiwrensh
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
A is gooooood,my teacher wnt move me down even though i think im positively **** at french, i have no notes in my exercise book

thats why im panicking.....................
Lol i meant shocked in a good way.

Do you not have a text book? I know the bbc bitesize website has some listening exercises and stuff - dont know how useful it is.

With French, the way I revised and prepared for the GCSE was to like do lots of exam practice with past papers. In my opinion, to revise a language its best to keep familiarising yourself with the language by listening and reading it on past papers.
mjf
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

ANYONE KNOW A GOOD BOOK?
Hey
I still have my french book which really helped me and Im actually going to sell it! I think it is geared to most exam boards, but I was with AQA and managed an A*. If your interested Ill dig it out and send you details...
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by mjf)
Hey
I still have my french book which really helped me and Im actually going to sell it! I think it is geared to most exam boards, but I was with AQA and managed an A*. If your interested Ill dig it out and send you details...
OOOO YES PLEASE!!!! ill be sooooooo happy if u dooo,im not begging im just u no...*mumbles*
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by monkiwrensh)
Lol i meant shocked in a good way.

Do you not have a text book? I know the bbc bitesize website has some listening exercises and stuff - dont know how useful it is.

With French, the way I revised and prepared for the GCSE was to like do lots of exam practice with past papers. In my opinion, to revise a language its best to keep familiarising yourself with the language by listening and reading it on past papers.
loll bless,i do have a textbook,i just dont ever write inside it,teacher never marks it so im a littleeeeee bit stuck
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I dunno how you can revise for French really, apart from doing grammar exercises, learning vocab and just practicing listening, reading and speaking. You don't really need to know a lot for GCSE.
Xenon
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You could try the Letts revision book. That';s what was recommended to us.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
french shud be taught from yr 1 in primary school,itd be so much easier that way..
ithink anyway,...
Xenon
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
french shud be taught from yr 1 in primary school,itd be so much easier that way..
ithink anyway,...
My little brother went to french club for year 1 and 2.
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Xenon)
My little brother went to french club for year 1 and 2.
i really wish i had learnt french that young. i had a really good teacher for gcse (to make up for the appaling one for years 7, 8 + 9). i managed to get an A, but only because my tecaher really helped- she gave us tables of every irregular verb that were much better and easier to use than any text book or book of verbs. she also gave us lists of converation questions and we wrote pages of notes to use as answers. actually selling my books really wouldn't be a bad idea...
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
you no we had an excellent teacher in yr7,and i was quite ahead of my class for french,but she left and from yr 8 -yr 10 i learnt nothing,and now im in yr 11 and am panicking.....
Lucy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If you're really crap at French I wouldn't dismiss the CGP books - I was really panicking about my GCSE German, I didn't even know the basics - however CGP helped me learn the basics and it wasn't too confusing. It's a shame you don't have a good teacher because an important part of the teaching is to give you loads of useful vocab which could come up in the exam.

What I found really helped (and the students who scored highly often used this method aswell) is to shortlist a couple of topics which are likely to come up in the writing exam e.g. holidays, an accident, what your hobbies are etc. and to perhaps write a paragraph or two to memorise prior to your exam or to write a few phrases which could apply to different situations. And of course you are going to have to memorise little things like yours sincerely and 'amities' (with the accents) which can score you extra points.

You still have time to improve, a friend of mine got a C in her french mock but managed to get an A* for the real thing (and she sort of gave up half way!).
emom100
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Xenon)
You could try the Letts revision book. That';s what was recommended to us.
i remember being really dissapointed with the lets books when i did my Gcse's and thought it was a total waste of money

languages arn't the type of subject to cram from a book you only get better with practise.The best thing to do is ask your teacher for some extra reading and listening practice and ask to see examples of other peoples writing from the years above and nab some useful phrases. I got a* at gcse for both french and spanish and then an A for spanish at a-level and for GCSe i never ended up using a revision guide for languages despite wasting mymoney and buying them.

it depends on your bored for GCSE whether you've got a writing exam or 100% coursework. If youv'e got an exam find a book with key phrases in and learn and use them. Also try and tune into french radio. to be honest with you, if you've got common sence you should do fine in your gcse cos some of the questions are so daft.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.6%
Excited (156)
9.19%
Worried (305)
17.96%
Terrified (378)
22.26%
Meh (162)
9.54%
Confused (37)
2.18%
Putting on a brave face (233)
13.72%
Impatient (213)
12.54%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise